Holiday presets

Name
Jack
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

At the end of the month, I am off to Rome for a week. I am not very good at editing photos and mainly use Lightroom on my iPad with the presets it recommends, however, I do also have a laptop with normal Lightroom and Photoshop on. However, can anyone recommend any presets, either free or paid for that would be a good generic edit for city photographs or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

I import with settings to cover the basics of adjustment:

Highlights -10 Shadows +10
Clarity +7
Sharpen +65

If your camera and lenses tend towards slightly warm, slightly cool, over or under exposure then add the appropriate level of compensation too. I also import with some keywords like my email address. This can be set to happen automatically as a preset.

What brand of camera are you shooting with?

Please don't waste your money buying presets, you'll have to tweak them to match the subject and lighting in your shot anyway so you may as well learn how to edit yourself. Shoot Raw if you can as you'll have much greater editing latituide to get the result you want.

For holiday snaps you want them bright and warm, so add a subtle S curve in the tone curve tool. boost the shadows a bit. Warm up the WB a touch, add a little clarity for pop, sharpen as needed. Make use of the very good masking tools in LR on the iPad to select your subject and give it a little boost where appropriate.

Edit: This isn't to say you can't make your own presets. I have loads of presets loaded into LR that I've made myself, to serve as a starting point. The ones I'll choose for holiday snaps will be very different from the ones I use for my motorsport work.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the advice I really do appreciate it. My two main cameras are

Olympus m1 iii
Fuji x70

So here's a few screenshots of how I edited this holiday shot of my wife, taken on a Fuji X-T4. I also added a subtle S to the tone curve. All done from a Raw image file on either my phone or my iPad.

Light panel:
IMG_0449.jpeg
Colour Panel & Grading

IMG_0458.jpeg
IMG_0457.jpeg
IMG_0456.jpeg

IMG_0455.jpeg

Theres also +10 Clarity. Sharpening is at LR defaults. Also a Linear Gradient for the sky with -72 Highlights. That takes you from this

DSCF9136.jpeg

Last edited:
To this. I'm not saying I'm great at editing but this can be done in a couple of minutes. The colour grade I have saved as a preset so it's one click to apply. I have the S-Curve, Vibrance, Saturation and Fuji Film profile as a preset so again I can apply them with one click. The actual editing I've done is highlights, shadows, WB and the linear gradient.
DSCF9136.jpeg

Last edited:
Back