Holidays and photography

S

Steve

We all look forward to our holidays and it gives us the opportunity to see and photograph new sites and places. For most, family and weather considerations are probably the main factors that play a part in the location choice but I was wondering how much our passion for photography influences our choices of destination. Do you secretly or openly include that when making your holiday plans? Have you ever been somewhere and found it to be a photographers dream?

not been abroad since i was 13!

EosD said:
not been abroad since i was 13!

But you are like Adrian Mole, you are only 13and 3/4 now :?

It doesn't have to be abroad, have you been anywhere in the UK that you though was a photographers dream?

I haven't gone on holiday specificaly for photography but will plan to include it. I.e going to florida later in the year so all ready making sure ill have everything I need. Finding out what i'll be able to get over there taking advantage of their cheaper prices. Will practice for the kinds of shots I know i'll be taking, like fireworks, night time and candids.

Ive been to devon a few times and thats always nice, but i never had an interest in photography so didnt take any shots whilst there

Lunga, one of the Treshnish Isles off the west coast of Scotland, is a photographer's dream if you're into birds, figuratively speaking!

Scramble over the rocks on the shore, walk up a steep path to the cliff top, and as far as you can see there are puffins frollicking about (or whatever puffins do). They are so used to human visitors that you can get within a few feet of them, so no need for a long lens!

Walk further and you see (and smell) Gannet Rock, allegedly the largest gannet colony in the British Isles.

Not far from Lunga is Staffa - Fingal's Cave - great photo opportunities from the boat if the sea's not too rough. :)

The good news for me is that my Mum lives in Cyprus. I head out there once or twice every year for a week or so in the summer, so I can guarantee the weather. Cyprus is changing a lot due to the amount of development going on, and much of the character is being lost, especially in the tourist traps... that's one of the reasons why I want to improve my picture taking.

I never specifically plan a photography holiday, but am always intent on getting as many images as i can from holidays. Once there i will happily drag people to places i want to go to just for photography. But if you're somewhere like S.America of Oz etc, there is no point missing out, chances are you'll not go back for a good while.

Our holidays are mostly now planned round my wife's hobby, I just make the best of wherever I am and live with the conditions.

dod said:
Our holidays are mostly now planned round my wife's hobby, I just make the best of wherever I am and live with the conditions.

That's totally not allowed!!! You can't say something like that and not tell us what your wifes hobby is?? :shock:

Not telling people stuff like that is the way rumours start!

Steve said:
That's totally not allowed!!! You can't say something like that and not tell us what your wifes hobby is?? :shock:

LOL, she does endurance horse riding. Sits on a horse for 50 miles at a time, she's in the Scottish team, a good chance she'll be in the UK team next year competing in Europe. If everything goes to plan we're off to Ireland in a couple of months time :) Ahhhhhh, Guiness ;)

Back