Holocaust Memorial, Berlin

Name
Rowan
Edit My Images
No
IMGP0896.jpg

One of my favourites. What says you?

I agree. Im going through a bit of a dark phase with my b&w shots.

A bit dark, again, but I think it adds to the atmosphere and you did a damn good job to get a background that wasn't full of people or an ugly tourist building selling things!
Absolutely love Berlin. One of my favourite cities.

I was stationed in Berlin while in the Army...good times...:D

I went back there and to the Holocaust Memorial - very moving place. I quite like your interpretation. The darkness really does lead the eye out...but a tad too much, I feel.

Cheers.

One of the problems I've found with a lot of threads on this board are complaints of dark images. The irony is, I don't see them dark and when I read complaints about it, I wonder - is the photo under exposed or are peoples monitors not bright enough.

I've been told my pics are too dark but they look fine to me on my screen. So how can it be a quantifiable complaint if the viewing technology differs from viewer to viewer?

So I comment on the photo as I see it, regardless of how others see it.

It's not the darkness that bothers me, I just can't see enough detail in the picture to see what it really is. Have you got one from a different perspective that shows what it is from a longer distance.

It's not the darkness that bothers me, I just can't see enough detail in the picture to see what it really is. Have you got one from a different perspective that shows what it is from a longer distance.

What do you mean? Its quite a simple picture showing the memorial stones

Dark here too I'm afraid, and that's on a calibrated monitor.
I think I see what you're going for, but too much of this is deep blacks for me :(

Thanks for all the responses everyone! The overwhelming response seems to be: 'nice, but dark' in a nutshell, but I agree with RobC that it doesnt look dark to me and I can clearly make out the details and as some people said, it adds to the sombre mood of the picture.

Back