Home insurance or better?

Edit My Images
Yes
we have had a speight of breakins around here in the last week or so, and it got me wondering, what if we got broke into and all my camera gear was stolen? would i be covered by the normal house cover, or should i go for something better,
What do you guys have??

Check with your house insurance. Mine let me cover all my kit <£4000 wherever (worldwide), whenever, as new replacement for£48 quid extra on our house premium ... no-brainer.

As above - you really need check to with your household insurance provider. All my kit is covered for up to £2K anywhere in the world under my contents insurance. I could insure a higher value but I haven't accumulated over £2K of kit yet!

I had mine tacked onto the household insurance, also covers me for 60 days abroad too. It was surprisingly cost effective.

Just curious, have the breakins been happening at day or night?

Just curious, have the breakins been happening at day or night?

i believe early evening, one couple were broken into while they sat watching tv, 3 youths took money and left.
i now hate leaving my wife at home alone.

I've just updated mine with CIS
I now have all my photography gear attched to the house ins, including out and about, and accidental cover.
It cost me about an extra £30 per year.
I claimed for my old laptop a couple of yeas back and they replaced new for old no problems.

i believe early evening, one couple were broken into while they sat watching tv, 3 youths took money and left.
i now hate leaving my wife at home alone.

Oh it's just some silly teenagers with guts trying to act gangsta then.

Invest in a dog (a big one), a gun and a burglar alarm. Your wife will be fine :)

Sorry to hear your situation Boob - events like these can be very worrying.

I get my insurance through a broker. I ran a list of my gear (with valuations) past him along with an indication of my trips/average activities/lifestyle etc and he has confirmed that my house contents cover my gear.

The important part was the "single article limit" which in my case is £2K. We did not add any camera gear afterwards but my wifes jewelery and our race mountain bikes were added with an additional premium of about £48.

HTH! :wave:

LMAO @ Boob. Best typo of a username I've seen in a long long while :D

I would check your house contents insurance first, to see if it covers your equipment. If it's not sufficient, you could always give that company a try that always have the inserts in photography magazines.....Damn, what's the name....

It's three letters I think....

Oh it's just some silly teenagers with guts trying to act gangsta then.

Invest in a dog (a big one), a gun and a burglar alarm. Your wife will be fine :)
you want a dog who can run fast...and eat people:

HRR20061104-034.jpg

Better check - I thought all my bicycles were covered for the replacement value, but when one got nicked out of the back garden (step-son left it there after 'borrowing' it to go to a mate's, Grrr...), I found it was limited to a £500 pay-out.
Not much bloody good if it's a Gary Fisher Promethius Titanium ATB with full Shimano XTR and Judy SL forks etc etc... about £3,000 that lot was worth when I put it together 8 years ago and now some yobbo-scrote's probably chucked it in the canal after playing on it for 5 minutes...

Back