Home Scanner Advice

• Thread starter ian in lancs
  • Start date
I

ian in lancs

Does anyone have experience of either of these scanners - Plustek OpticFilm 7600i SE or Epson Perfection V600 Scanner - I want to scan 35mm to the best possible quality at a max budget of £250.

I'm looking to scan old negatives and but more importantly the B&W ones I'm shooting recently with my Nikon F5. I'd like high quality resolution but can't afford £5-600 the top scanners cost.

I read 35mm film is about 15-20Mp and there's a video on YouTube from Gadget show comparing the F5 with the D700 (which I also have) and the conclusion was the D700 won but only just. Even with Pan 50 I'm still getting grainy - studio shots mainly with same lighting, subject, exposure and lenses (24-70 and 70-200 f2.8's) as the D700; akin to low-res JPEG or high ISO.

The scans I've had done by developers have been disappointing and expensive; too grainy even the 'HQ' ones. Or am I expecting too much from film?

thanks it was that test that made me consider the Plustek one but I don't recognise the company or its reputation or more importantly whether that one or the minolta is the best one to go for. I'd like a Nikon one but is way to expensive and they're snapped up on ebay.

there's at least one person on here that doesn't rate the Plustek - iirc, cowasaki had one for around a week before sending it back for "being pants"...

Two, especially if you want quality...:)

I'd buy one of these I think, if all I had to scan was 35mm, its not 4000dpi but its reasonable.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINOLTA-FILM-35mm
That's the thing, I always thought buying scanning equipment for 35mm was simple and cheap because M/F stuff is what I needed, and that gets stupid expensive much earlier than 35mm...:cool:

Does anyone have experience of either of these scanners - Plustek OpticFilm 7600i SE or Epson Perfection V600 Scanner - I want to scan 35mm to the best possible quality at a max budget of £250.

I'm looking to scan old negatives and but more importantly the B&W ones I'm shooting recently with my Nikon F5. I'd like high quality resolution but can't afford £5-600 the top scanners cost.

I read 35mm film is about 15-20Mp and there's a video on YouTube from Gadget show comparing the F5 with the D700 (which I also have) and the conclusion was the D700 won but only just. Even with Pan 50 I'm still getting grainy - studio shots mainly with same lighting, subject, exposure and lenses (24-70 and 70-200 f2.8's) as the D700; akin to low-res JPEG or high ISO.

The scans I've had done by developers have been disappointing and expensive; too grainy even the 'HQ' ones. Or am I expecting too much from film?

Well I now have an Epson V750 and I get mixed results scanning B/W film...had the same problem with an Epson 2480 scanning B/W negs going back 50 years. I have no proof but my thinking is:- these flat-bed scanners are designed for colour work.

I'm sat here using an Epson Perfection V500 scanning an old freinds colour negs from about 1960.

It does a very adequate job of scaning and some simple photo correction as it goes.

The Epsons use Digital ICE that can go a long way to repairing old pictures as it scans. Removing dust and scratches.

I went to Epson at Hemel Hemstead last year for one of their corses and got to use the V750, a great bit of kit.

What you have to ask is do you want 21 megapixel quality or just high quality.

My V500 does a good enough job.

but you cant use digital ice for black and whites though

Back