Homebrew flash experiment

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Too many years of watching Blue Peter and a lack of willingness to blow the best part of £500 on an MT-24EX I've been playing around with homebrew flash setups. I'll post my setup later when I've dug my P&S out but in the meantime I'm pleased with the results... Amazing what you can do with a flower pot, scissors, double sided tape and some aluminium foil:

Old single flash setup, not bad but obviously lit from one side:
4523437067_8f8bca26e3.jpg

Bigger

New ghetto setup, far more even lighting:
4696215650_5c7fe98d6f.jpg

Bigger

Hoverfly, again I'm pretty pleased with the lighting:
4695577823_a0d8363288.jpg

Bigger

Carl

Last edited:
I have just taken the plunge on a cheap ring light flash at £15 and will take my chances. I'm not even sure if it will work on my camera yet. No way I'm paying out £70 odd quid on a ring flash though.

Look forward to seeing your flowerpot setup Carl (y)

I love Blue Peter-esque stuff!

Love that little flash holder thing Carl, tis great. I need to fix my self one of these jo-jars up to go with my macro lens :thinking:

That lens is a beast :) Thanks for the setup photo's matey (y)

Cheers John, I've one or two other Blue Peter inspired ideas to come!

I love Blue Peter-esque stuff!

Love that little flash holder thing Carl, tis great. I need to fix my self one of these jo-jars up to go with my macro lens :thinking:

Ta Ash, it's a hotch potch of stuff - it's the base from one of FITPs 'C' brackets, a Novoflex arm (from speedgraphics) and one of FITPs off camera TTL cords. Speedgraphic / Novoflex do so sweet modular bracket setups which are giving me some ideas :thinking:

Back