Homemade Pringle Diffuser DIY test

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
After seeing @Logical Fallacy 's pringle tube diffuser, I thought I'd have a go myself (will pop up a photo of the "device" later).

Used one pringle tube (so I have one free, might modify it , so will call this one version 1), some of that package wrap diffuser type material that came with the raynox as the diffuser

Canon 6d, sigma 105mm, neweer tt520 speedlite, settings were:
1/8th power
200ISO
105mm
F10

I'll add more photos to this thread when I go out later for further testing. Bugger all in the garden except ants and the occasional fly so picked on a fly as it stayed nice and still for me, the ants were all over the place and I felt like I was itching so stuck to the fly lol

14511586167_3678d4dc55_b.jpg

Will update this with mark's design later. Took 15 minutes and one small roll of electrical tape to cover the whole pringle tube

Cheers Mark, cool, easy design and a great idea with the pringle tube due to the reflective surface inside, should have been not too much light loss I imagine.

Carl
I use a pringle tube atm too.

cool, how have you got yours set up alf?

excuse the food on the floor, lily likes to throw it :confused:

14512796617_4b483318f9_b.jpg
Haha
Another cupcake tablecloth... only problem I see with it is being able to change angle if you are slightly further away from subject. For instance on reverse lens setup I can change the flash head angle to point it at subject as subject is not always that close to lens.

Haha
Another cupcake tablecloth... only problem I see with it is being able to change angle if you are slightly further away from subject. For instance on reverse lens setup I can change the flash head angle to point it at subject as subject is not always that close to lens.
thats the issue im finding. Have to be on top of the bug so really moving very very slowly towards it. Most have been flying off just at the sight of me raising the camera now its so bulky :(

I think I've got some interesting shots anyway, just going through them now.

My flash swivel head isn't stiff enough to hold it in position either because of the weight, its pulling it down, so I might have to think of some way of holding it up just an inch or two as a support

You might have to go my route for reverse lens...

C bracket and straight bracket or a nova flex 26 cm arm from speed graphic. Allow you to position as you want.

You might have to go my route for reverse lens...

C bracket and straight bracket or a nova flex 26 cm arm from speed graphic. Allow you to position as you want.
do you have a link where I can get the bracket or flex mate? would be great

Carl
This is my old camera with my pringle diffuser

105 mm and pringle diffuser by alf.branch, on Flickr

Thats mental, alf. I had enough trouble with my setup, how the hell do you get close with that? lol do you have a shot taken with that I can have a peep at? :)

Thats mental, alf. I had enough trouble with my setup, how the hell do you get close with that? lol do you have a shot taken with that I can have a peep at? :)

Carl
I took this with it

Fly by alf.branch, on Flickr

Here is a um cropped version a couple of shots earlier with no PP other than minor sharpening

Fly.-uncroppedjpg by alf.branch, on Flickr

Great looks interesting.but would suffer reverse issue when up close and personal flash would over shoot subject.

I am looking at shortening it also a bracket assembly instead.

sweet, alf. Good reach on that considering?, how do you handle all the branches and bits that get in the way, was a nightmare with what I had. For my ladybird shot, i had to hold the branch in one hand with the camera and gibbins in the other while trying to rock back and forth to get a good focus

Very Heath Robinson Carl but certainly seems to do the trick (y)

Back