Honest opinion please.

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
What do you guys think of this please? I like the subject, but feel it has something missing. I also don't like the haloing effect around the building but am unsure what I should be doing when taking the picture to get rid of it. Any comments on how it could be better shot / improved would be gratefully received.

_DSC0628 (1024x765) by alltaken2012, on Flickr

IMO the fence posts add nothing to the image and actually cause a major distraction - different angle would have been better.

TRy from differnt angles?
Could the fence posts be made a feature? so they are on the ringhst one very close and visable but the rest fading in to the distance?

Try moving along the path to the right and taking the shot from the corner nearer the chimney. The fence posts should then form a row down the left side of the image depending on where exactly you end up choosing to stand/set up. You'll also likely have the path extending into the distance in the image (depending on where exactly it goes beyond the frames of the image).

You'll have to consider time of day as well to get a good balance of light and dark.

Thanks everyone, all taken aboard. Jcoquillon, that sounds like a good idea and I'll be sure to try it next time I'm there, though next time I'm going to try and visit it when there are a few more clouds in the sky, as I think it would not only make the shot more atmospheric, but the reduced light would reduce the 'haloing' effect around the building.

Or I could just photograph another building without those pesky fence posts in the way. :D

I did try something similar to your suggestion today, only using a wall rather then the fence posts, but didn't quite get the angle right. I only had my point and shoot with me unfortunately.

The Old Lifeboat Station. by alltaken2012, on Flickr

Back