Horror Photography anyone? (may contain fake blood)

Name
Kel
Edit My Images
Yes
Before I ventured into lifestyle and wedding photography I used to find myself scouting abandoned buildings with models and tubs of homemade fake blood. I love horror films so of course I would love horror photography, I've been too busy lately to take on any new horror projects but I'm planning a huge one for next year (lots of creepy ideas) so for now all I can post is my old stuff.

Does anybody else have an interest in this type of photography? If so, I would love to see your interpretations of horror photography in this thread :)

Here's a few of mine to get us started;

small_3-1.jpg

small_3-2.jpg

c1.jpg

.. and this one was a 'cloned' self portrait just for fun last halloween.
bloodymaryedit2.jpg

:clap: yaaaay a horror fan.

Love the pics kelly, that first one could have been an image off the supernatural tv series, very demon looking.

Look forward to seeing what frights you will be creating :)

Unfortunately, not having funds for any sort of expensive FX, im experimenting with low key and some objects I can get cheaply from ebay.

Heres about as horror as I can get :)

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

Im going to do a low key on the gas mask later, hopefully will come out pretty funky

:clap: yaaaay a horror fan.

Love the pics kelly, that first one could have been an image off the supernatural tv series, very demon looking.

Look forward to seeing what frights you will be creating :)

Aww thankyou, I love supernatural.

Unfortunately, not having funds for any sort of expensive FX, im experimenting with low key and some objects I can get cheaply from ebay.

I'm with you on that, FX stuff is expensive if you don't have a make-up artist at hand. I'm all for cheap props :D

That first one is awesome, very creepy :) and I love gas masks!

Don't know if any of you have seen this guy; http://www.joshuahoffine.com/ He sets up some brilliant Horror shots, but as he says, it's like a small film production for a still shot.

Don't know if any of you have seen this guy; http://www.joshuahoffine.com/ He sets up some brilliant Horror shots, but as he says, it's like a small film production for a still shot.

I LOVE Joshua Hoffine, he's one of my favourite photographers, it's incredible what he does to create a single image.

Love the box in the OP! One of mine (I have a poster version of it somewhere, but not on this PC):

Aww thankyou! and I'm really liking that, the empty space and lighting adds mystery to it!

Totally the best thing about this place (for me at least!) is when people post images like this that are a bit different... I find a lot of the photos on here incredibly technically accomplished but lacking imagination so I LOVE seeing things that overflow with imagination and creativity too.

The one above is part of a series of two loosely linked images, both with lots of space - this is the other one:

Jabi by Will Slater, on Flickr

I have a skeleton in my closet; I am a horror afficienado and love a good horror / supernatural image as much as I like a scary movie. Would not say I am a gorenography fan though; I have lost too many hours of my life watching things like Hostel only to wish I hadn't.

Anyhoot, here is a supernatural contribution from me.

DSC_7411 by Spooky 173, on Flickr

You need to look closely - it is quite subtle

Just had a quick peek at his site - love the Pickman's Masterpiece set - definately something very Poe-esque about it. Just my kind of thing!

Spooks

The shots with the cardboard box and the web covered head / torso are really giving me the willies!

Love these, right up my (Nightmare on Elm...) street... Sorry that was awful :nuts:

Great set very creative! (y)

Nope... Can't see it. Unless it's the wonky lamp? Give me a clue!

I'm not a huge fan of Hoffine I have to say. It's a bit too polished, and a bit too straightforward for my tastes. I like images where the viewer has to fill in the back story themselves - some of the best images I've taken people have had completely different takes on, and I love that.

You need to look in the centre aisle towards the back of the auditorium - the light orbs from the top corners of the frame point you in the right direction.

Spooks

Nice- that really is subtle. :clap:(y) now how did you do that????:shrug:

Agreed. And then there's Gregory Crewsdon who has a large film production team behind him and often uses ex-movie techs.

I do like Crewsden's stuff though. Less "in your face" compared to Hoffine but still has a surreal, almost supernatural feel to his work. Twilight is an excellent book (not the silly teen-vampire romp thing).

Ian.

I LOVE all of these! Keep them coming guys :D The museum one from the post above is sooo creepy, love it!

Here's one of my most popular horror pieces, it got me 2nd Daily Deviation :)
352kae1.jpg

Here's one from an abandoned theatre...not so much horror but a bit spooky

8501962688_2967923ccb_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

That picture was taken in the tunnels below the theatre. This is what it looks like up top.

8502478599_6e79ebc3b1_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

There is a charity group trying to restore it...hope they succeed...it's too beautiful to be allowed to be lost. My daughter made contact with someone at the charity giving us permission to photograph it.

Wow that's amazing! and yeah I do hope it gets restored, too many beautiful old buildings are being left to rot these days.

I LOVE all of these! Keep them coming guys :D The museum one from the post above is sooo creepy, love it!

Here's one of my most popular horror pieces, it got me 2nd Daily Deviation :)
352kae1.jpg

I would love to try something like this, If you ever organize a meet up, I'm in !

Nice one Matt :D and I'm actually planning to do some more horror work this year in my spare time so if you ever fancy doing a project I'll be up for it.. just give me a message, we're not too far away from each other I'm sure there'd be a suitable location between us :)

I've only just seen this thread, but have two shots that might count :) These were both taken for last year's 52, so are not new work. I hope they fit here.

The first one was to illustrate "Fear". Several people wanted it to be in perfect focus, but I thought it fitted the shot better like this (and a roughly equal number agreed!). It was right at the beginning of my interest in photography, so I wonder if it still stands up at all?

Buried Alive 2.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

The second one was for "Letter". I'm not sure it's horror as such, but hey it's got blood in it, so what the hell!!!!

W29 - Dear John Letter 2.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Self Portrait

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZombie2-1_filtered.jpg

They definitely count Mark, and that fake blood is great.. it's really hard to get a good mixture. LOVE the concept too! very strong.

and Yeyyy more zombies, keep them coming :D

Cheers Kel, but it's confession time :(. The fake blood didn't look anything like that good out of the camera; it was very orange, and very pale. I had to Photoshop it to death (sic) to get it to look like that. I was pretty happy with the results though :)

Nice one Matt :D and I'm actually planning to do some more horror work this year in my spare time so if you ever fancy doing a project I'll be up for it.. just give me a message, we're not too far away from each other I'm sure there'd be a suitable location between us :)

Sounds good, I will have a look for some places :)

Cheers Kel, but it's confession time :(. The fake blood didn't look anything like that good out of the camera; it was very orange, and very pale. I had to Photoshop it to death (sic) to get it to look like that. I was pretty happy with the results though :)

I've had to do that before, it's a pain but you've done well it looks pretty realistic :D

Sounds good, I will have a look for some places :)

Awesome, will give you a message if I have anything coming up :)

Back