Horse Portrait

Edit My Images
No
I know this isn't a subject most of the folks on the forum are interested in (except maybe Dod :) ) but I'd like as much feedback as possible none the less as this is the first time I've tried to tackle this.

Background to this is basicly my girlfriend torturing me to take some pics of her baby "Dolci" so last Sunday we let her out in the arena to run about and I tried my best to shoot her with the 100-400 L IS. I was at mostly ISO 400-800 all day and was struggling with some pretty harsh sunlight but managed to get a few shots that I'm (and more importantly she is) happy with, including a few more action orientated shots that I might post later.

Anyway, tell me what you think :)

59356473-L.jpg

I would be interested in the other action shots that you mention.

This pic, please bear in mind that I often talk crap. I like this for the DOF and the fenceline in the background, couple of slightly negative things I did notice, first of all was the copyright notice, being bang in the middle it was the first thing I saw (maybe the idea?) after that it was the hotspot on the nose, but as you say, your struggling with sunlight, but I dont think its a big issue in this shot.

Focus is pin sharp on the whiskers, but I wonder if its the same on the eyes, if not should it be ? I read about people portraits and always making sure its the eye in focus, is it the same with animals I wonder.

Have you any other shots from the day where there is more of the side of the head in the shot ? I'm curious to know if a little more of an angle makes it looks better or not.

I'm a big fan of warm tones, and this has it spot on in my book.

Cheers for sharing.

Kris

I've done a few now and what I've learnt is that what we're looking for is not what the horse owner wants. The focus on this is fine, got great lighting and the one really important thing for a horse owner is that the ears are up and pointing forward. The angle is flattering, it's not making the nose too prominent.

This is the first one I did and even though it's got faults the owner loves it and has had a few reprints

malcolm.jpg

Sonsey said:
(and more importantly she is)
And that's not easy to achieve. I've got hundreds of shots of our two. The ones I like from a technical point of view my wife doesn't necessarily.

I like the pic, but do you think you could have possibly chosen a worse place to stick your Copyright notice??? ;)

(I could clone that out in about 10 seconds anyway! Don't ruin your shot with it).

Sonsey said:
I know this isn't a subject most of the folks on the forum are interested in (except maybe Dod :)

I spend a lot of Sundays at horse meetings in the summer. Not portrait agreed but plenty of interest Sonsey..:)

Images are too big but a Linky here to one of mine..:)

Im no expert so I hope you dont mind my input.
For me a lot of what spoils the pic is as said, the copyright logo being centrally placed. It imediately draws you eye smack central between hers, right in the middle of the image. So add the white of her eye showing on the right and it makes her look just tad uncomfortable about being photographed ... or maybe its that logo being tattooed between her eyes, lol!
Shame the headcollar is a little jaunty across the nose too.
Looks a lovely mare though so Im sure if you persevere, sooner or later you'll come up with a corker!

Thanks for all the feedback folks, much appreciated :thumb:

A few points raised so I'll go through them one at a time.

It seems to look slightly softer posted here than the full size image does on my monitor, allthough on the whole the image isn't as pin sharp as I'd like, I'm not sure if this is a lens issue, high ISO issue, processing issue... or a plain me being a bit cr@p issue :D

The dreaded copyright logo... lol, sorry about that but a recent pic of mine was "borrowed" for a person's personal site without even a please or thankyou so it's a bit of a kneejerk reaction to it. Now that GfK has reminded me it'd be easy to clone out I'll consider removing it again, it was just there as a reminder to the general public that don't really realise it, that people's pictures are their own property, and not there to be used by anybody who feels like it. :nunu: (sorry for the rant, I hope you can look past it... and the logo)

I'll try and be more watchful of the little details like the jaunty headcollar (good tip, thanks) but she's still a young'un, not even broken in yet, and as such is still a bit too "spirited" to keep still ;)

As more the more actiony shots (eg. her moving about in the enclosure :D ) I'll make a new post in the Photo Sharing section in a few days when I've a bit more time on my hands.

Thanks again for the feedback so far folks...

p.s. Great shot Dod, very sharp and well controled exposure... oh, and thanks again for the previous pointers when we spoke last.

And great shot again Busterboy, great catch of the action. Do you have a gallery I could look at, the girlfriend and I will be catching a couple of shows this year ourselves and it'd be helpfull to see what angles etc. work when shooting different types of events.

Having had riding children - and also for a while myself, I would recommend bribery as the whif of peppermint in a pocket arouses interest and for ears forward a "clicker" in the pocket often works. They are lovely subjects and I bet the owners are pleased with your results even if they do not satisify the purists and that matters as they will be helpful and welcome you round their stables. Try not use a too wide aperture as the depth of focus on a long head can look strange with a sharp eye and blurred nostril. Have fun.

I'm sorry...

I just see burgers and curry waiting to happen...

Arkady said:
I'm sorry...

Remind me never to buy take-away in Aldershot :eek1:

Arkady said:
I'm sorry...

I'm with GfK, there's something badly wrong in your kitchen if that's what goes in your food :shock: :D

Anyway, welcome back... oh, and thanks for the critique ;)

We're about the only country in Europe that doesn't eat horsemeat.

Buy a burger from any burger-van in France, Holland, Belguim or Germany and it'll be horse. Really.

And it's nice.

If it came from the PonyClub it would be peppermint flavoured!

Hmmm... Minty Burger...

I wonder if they fed sheep lots of mint could you do away with the Mint Sauce?

But not for human consumption - seems we have no qualms about giving reduced horse product to our kids to glue bits of paper together with, but not prepared to sit down to a lovely Red Rum Burger...

Arkady said:
I'm sorry...

Arkady said:
We're about the only country in Europe that doesn't eat horsemeat.

Buy a burger from any burger-van in France, Holland, Belguim or Germany and it'll be horse. Really.

And it's nice.
Arkady said:
Hmmm... Minty Burger...

I wonder if they fed sheep lots of mint could you do away with the Mint Sauce?
Arkady said:
But not for human consumption - seems we have no qualms about giving reduced horse product to our kids to glue bits of paper together with, but not prepared to sit down to a lovely Red Rum Burger...

I would've appreciated just 1 short critique from you before turning the thread into a culinary debate :eek:fftopic:

I've been away...just been thinking about English food a lot lately...:embarasse

Back