Horton Grange country house

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
A guy at work who is a web designer has asked to potentially team up with me to provide the shots for the web sites he creates. He makes them for small guest houses and hotels and asked me for some shots that would represent how i would show the rooms etc and the way i would process them, these are the pics i've came up with.

These were shot at Horton Grange Country House and hotel in newcastle.

All taken with canon 550D with sigma 10-20, except the bar pumps thats a 50mm 1.8

All bar the beer pumps, the outdoor one and number 4 are 3 shot HDR photos.

1) The Hotel Grounds

2) The Bridal Suite

3) Another of the bedrooms

4) Same room again

5) Another bedroom

6) The Dining Room

Last edited:
To me they look like what they are meant to look like, advertising pics for hotels, the first one looks a bit dramatic for a advert,i DO like the pumps mind, best i can do . . . .. (y)

I think that the processing works well on these and they are generally well taken, however there is some distortion that I'm not keen on, (e.g. #6) which to my eye just looks wrong.
That having been said I don't do this type of interior shot so I am speaking without experience of doing it.

If this is going to become regular paid work I would give serious thought to investing in a tilt/shift lens to avoid converging verticals, you should be able to pick up a 24mm Mk1 for around £5-600,the only difficulty is its not all that wide on a crop and ideally a 17mm would be better but they are expensive.
It might be worth hiring one to see how you get on with it.

I think that the processing works well on these and they are generally well taken, however there is some distortion that I'm not keen on, (e.g. #6) which to my eye just looks wrong.
That having been said I don't do this type of interior shot so I am speaking without experience of doing it.

Its difficult to avoid distortion when using the 10-20 as its really wide, i suppose its a compromise at the moment as to avoid the verticals converging i'd have to use a narrower angle but then im missing out on some of the room.......Thanks for your comment regarding the processing, tried to keep the HDR to a minimum, didnt really want them to get to the 'painting' look or where theres loads of halos etc.

If this is going to become regular paid work I would give serious thought to investing in a tilt/shift lens to avoid converging verticals, you should be able to pick up a 24mm Mk1 for around £5-600,the only difficulty is its not all that wide on a crop and ideally a 17mm would be better but they are expensive.
It might be worth hiring one to see how you get on with it.

I agree about the TS lens, it would be lovely to have one. The thing is, as you say, the 24mm would be way too wide on my 550D and even the 17mm would still be too wide. i would ideally need a FF body and even with a 2nd hand 5D classic i'd be looking at £2300 minimum for body and lens if i bought the 17mm TSE new from somewhere like WEX.

i dont have the money at the minute :-(

It needs to UWA as well so at the moment the 10-20 and 550D combo will have to suffice :-D

Its all still in the pipeline at the moment im waiting on the guy getting back to me to see whether he likes the way ive processed the pics and if its the kind of thing he needs. My main focus was trying to make the photographs a true likeness of the rooms and trying not to exaggerate the sizes.

Its difficult as naturally the wide angle creates distortion, i've tried to shoot with the camera in the middle height of the room to avoid as much converging verticals as possible but it is a struggle lol

Nick

Its difficult to avoid distortion when using the 10-20 as its really wide,

You have to keep the camera parallel to the ground. Use a tripod, and avoid pointing the camera up or down. If the cam is kept level, there will be no distortion.

Back