hot pixel - should I send it back?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently noticed a hot pixel on my D200, it's only really apparent at ISO1600 in low light.

What I'm wondering is, is this something that is reasonable to return the camera for repair for? It's still under warranty.

I spotted a hot pixel on my 30D when taking pics of the lunar eclipse back in Feb.

I took a few shots, and it was there, in red, in loads of shots in the same place. Scrolling through my photos, all of a sudden, it wasnt in them any more....not seen it since.

Mine is blue. Thing is, it's very, very easily fixed in lightroom, hence why I'm slightly reticent about sending it back and being without it for a while.

I know I probably should send it back, just not sure if I can be bothered to go to the hassle of doing so. hmmmmm, decisions, decisions.

I had a digital 5mp camera before I had a dslr. That had hot pixels during long exposures, it wasn't really an issue though as they seldom appeared. Then I got a D40 which had a hot red pixel in a central position that appeared above iso 400. I got it replaced, this had another hot pixel but whitish and at higher iso in a less central position. Something I could live with and couldn't be bothered risking receiving a worse sample. It has not been an issue since as the conditions for it appearing are not the usual conditions I shoot in.

I personally wouldn't sweat it, especially if it's only visible occasionally - as you say it's easily fixed. If you have a look in the specs for your camera it may say something about hot pixel tolerance.

For someone to replace your camera and guarantee it doesn't have any stuck pixels they'd have to pretty well duplicate the conditions under which you're getting it and do test shots. I don't see that happening?

There is a trick to get rid of hot pixels....Canonwise anyway.

Put the lens cap on and activate manual sensor cleaning for 30 secs. Turn the camera off and back on to clear sensor clean mode. This has been reported to work with the 400D

I picked this up from another forum and saw several reports that it cured the hot pixel.

Bob

Back