hot Pixels

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Noticed i got 4 or 5 white pixels showing on my piccies now, any cure or is it time to flog a kidney for a 20d?:thinking:

I did a lot of checking with my camera when i got it and found a hot red pixel in my images. I searched around a bit and read up on it and it is nothing unusual. You can't see it normally and I stopped worrying about it. Think i also read at the time that Canon service can map out any hot pixels.

Not sure how you get white pixels - thought you would get either R G or B ??

i posted a pic in sharing, the 3 dogs in a row, you can see the pixel top left of it, and dark shots show them really badly. I do normally shop them, but im sure im seeing more than i used to

Hope this helps - a dead pixel will show up black, a stuck pixel will show up in the colour (RGB) that it's stuck on, a hot pixel will show up as white. A hot pixel is one where there is a higher than normal charge leakage.

Dead, stuck and hot pixels can, and will affect any digital camera. There is a very good chance that your camera (regardless of who made it or how much it cost) was manufactured with dead, stuck or hot pixels. It's a fact of life. Before a camera leaves the factory it is "pixel mapped" to check for pixels that are misbehaving - but the manufacturer won't change the sensor - they will run a diagnostic which will create a virtual pixel (doesn't record anything) which hopefully won't show up. Then they will sell you it. If you return it to Canon/Nikon etc they will just re-map the pixel(s). If you return it to the retailer you will more than likely get a camera that has been returned by someone else with more dead, stuck, hot pixels than you originally had

When you take a shot and use PS to map out and erase the offending pixel you are doing just what Canon/Nikon etc do before they sell the camera. I have two dead pixels - out of 8 million - I never see or notice them but if I did, then a quick shop and it's gone. I am not going to return my 20D to the retailer or Canon and get it back two weeks later with, probably, more naughty pixels than it had before.

regards

good info! thanks

I think I can do this myself using the same control as for the dust-mapping thingy on the D2x. Should do the same thing. Takes a reference shot and does a 'nearest-neighbour' comparison and the software replaces the 'dead/hot/wobbly' bits accordingly. Maybe...

Back