Hover-flying

Name
Andy Jones
Edit My Images
Yes
Beautiful day here in Somerset, saw a newly hatched damselfly at the side of my pond, lots of other damsels visiting but best of all after I cut the grass I saw my favourite hoverfly for the first time this year. In flight captures were suddenly on the menu :)

158660685_2baebe61e4_o.jpg

158660686_33e91b0900_o.jpg

158660692_1c0f19c3d0_o.jpg

158660689_68f2a41f69_o.jpg

This was my first serious attempt at in flight hoverflies with the Sigma 150mm, it was a bit harder than normal as I needed to get closer but these guys generally don't mind as long as you don't move too quickly.

All shots are slightly cropped for better framing.

I hate you, you bring out the jealous streak I've been fighting to keep controlled :D

Great captures there - its unusual to see pics of insects in flight and these look really great. I like the fact that you've got a lot of the background in the shots, showing the environment they're in. I see you took these with a 150mm lens, mine is a 90mm Tamron, so I guess that makes it even harder?
Great shots, well done.

dod said:
I hate you, you bring out the jealous streak I've been fighting to keep controlled :D

What he said. In the nicest possible way ;)

And he makes it look so easy........

pxl8 shrugs, holds his arms out, palms upwards and with a sincere look says "what?"

:D

Dod, the restraining order is being processed as I type...

Ok, seriously thanks all. It really isn't as hard as you imagine. These hoverflies are perfect for in flight shots because the males hover over a patch of ground looking out for a girlie hoverfly to pass by.

But nevertheless ... great shots pxl8 ! I like these beasties too and your pics show them off v. well !

Back