How can I get a clearer moon?

Name
Elizabeth
Edit My Images
Yes
This was November 22nd at 9 pm. It was partially cloudy. I used Aperture Priority, Spot Metering and ISO 400...

Moon_22.11.15 by Elizabeth McIndoe, on Flickr

you need to focus on the moon ...... preferably with no obstructions, (like those branches)

used Manual focus ...................at least to start with

what camera/lens are you using

do you have a tripod?

Last edited:
Oh Hi, BillN_33:)!

I signed up here 2 years ago but then there were distractions. I've introduced myself again in the Welcome Forum.

I'm not exactly a beginner. I've just bought a Panasonic Lumix TZ55-EB, which is what I took the photo with. It's the right camera for me at the mo'. It does have pretty comprehensive manual control. I've got the printed 188 page manual:D!

Sorry - forgot to say - I have a CamLink monopod, but not a tripod.

Oh Hi, BillN_33:)!

I signed up here 2 years ago but then there were distractions. I've introduced myself again in the Welcome Forum.

I'm not exactly a beginner. I've just bought a Panasonic Lumix TZ55-EB, which is what I took the photo with. It's the right camera for me at the mo'. It does have pretty comprehensive manual control. I've got the printed 188 page manual:D!

Sorry - forgot to say - I have a CamLink monopod, but not a tripod.

if you want the branches and the moon in focus that is some "ask" ... are you any good at photoshop?

if you get the moon in focus the branches will be OOF

do you want the branches in your shot

Last edited:
Yes, I suppose it is! I'll have to experiment.

To get the moon in focus, what would be the best settings?

(I quite like the effect of the branches in this shot but I can live without them!)

Thanks very much for your replies!

The settings I used for the following image were

Tripod - Manual focus -- f8 - ISO 400 - 1/100th sec

The shot was taken with a small compact, the Nikon V1 at 1620mm, (Nikon V1+ Nikon 300mm + x2 TC) .......... I think that your Panasonic will zoom to that "focal length"

to get the correct exposure you need to set the camera manually and adjust

but I was taking a shot of the moon

V1_5.jpg

Last edited:
A simple shot can be taken with say a 70 300mm zoom on a DSLR ......... but again use a tripod - f8 - 1/60th sec - and manual settings

D300 + 70 300mm f4.5/f5.6 Nikkon zoom

Zeeman crater

you should be able to get an image like this with your camera

Zeeman.jpg

Last edited:
Oh smashing - thanks a bunch! Off outside to experiment;)!

Quote: "Tripod - Manual focus -- f8 - ISO 400 - 1/100th sec" - I shall imprint this on my memory!

I've read that you can go down to 1/30th sec shutter speed without needing a tripod. What do you think?

Quote: "Tripod - Manual focus -- f8 - ISO 400 - 1/100th sec" - I shall imprint this on my memory!

I've read that you can go down to 1/30th sec shutter speed without needing a tripod. What do you think?

You have to keep the set up steady ...... I have never tried with a TZ 55

f8 is just a good fvalue for the lens that I used ........ it could be different for your camera

you will have to experiment with the focus ... just be careful the moon can be bright ........ and the exposure you need to get the detail and not over of under expose the image .........

again ISO 400 is just not a magic ISO - with a shot like a moon shot be careful with noise - the lower the ISO the better (generally)

you will need to process the image to get the best from it

Good luck

Last edited:
Hi Bill - yes, thanks. I know about higher ISO and 'noise'. F8 is my smallest aperture setting on this camera.

I shall try some things out; your help has been invaluable and is much appreciated!

You might get a sharpish photo at 1/30th handheld with a normal to wide lens (18-50mm), but if you use the zoom, you will need a tripod almost for certain.

For moon shots you are going to need some sort of zoom, if you want any significant detail.

With the monopod, you might be able to lean against a wall, or use a bamboo stick to steady it more.

Good luck, and we all hope the cloud clear to see the heavens properly.....

Hi Mark - thanks very much!

My Panasonic has a 24mm wide angle lens and a 20x Optical Zoom.

I think I need some Monopod tips - a kind friend sent it to me as a present. But you can't make it stable as you can with a tripod:confused:! I shall start a separate thread.

I like the little guy in your avatar:)!

Have a look at this or google 'moon photography'.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/the-lay-scientist/2014/may/02/how-do-you-photograph-the-moon

http://digital-photography-school.com/moon-photography-tips-moon-photos/

https://photographylife.com/how-to-photograph-moon

Although a tripod is useful all you need is a stable base so you can use anything to get a stable base. It's also surprising how fast the moon moves so a fast as possible shutter speed is needed.

A monopod is useful to support a heavy lens/camera for a long period. It's likely to be more stable than hand holding but not as stable as a tripod.

Last edited:
If you have the option of spot metering, use it, otherwise the moon will be overexposed.
A good zoom lens and a tripod is also a good idea
Heres one I took with a modified webcam through a telescope, basically, a 1mp sensor at the end of a 2000mm f10 lens!

Last edited:
Elizabeth
I suspect you are asking a bit much of your Lumix TZ55-EB compact camera to produce such an image. You have even less chance shooting through a tree on a night that is not totally clear.

We have a TZ 40 at work and I know it will struggle to focus and meter for the moon. If someone can show a moon shot taken with a compact then offer tips that may be more realsitic but we are comparing apples to dragon fruit here.

Last edited:
@rob-nikon and allanm - thanks very much indeed for the highly useful tips and links(y)!

allanm - incredible photo! I can do spot metering.

Elizabeth
I suspect you are asking a bit much of your Lumix TZ55-EB compact camera to produce such an image. You have even less chance shooting through a tree on a night that is not totally clear.

We have a TZ 40 at work and I know it will struggle to focus and meter for the moon. If someone can show a moon shot taken with a compact then offer tips that may be more realsitic but we are comparing apples to dragon fruit here.

Oh well, "Hope springs eternal", as they say;)! You have to start learning somewhere! I'm not in the market at the moment for carrying around my body weight in camera equipment; I'm rather on the small side!

Last edited:
Oh well. "Hope springs eternal", as they say;)! You have to start learning somewhere! I'm not in the market at the moment for carrying around my body weight in camera equipment; I'm rather on the small side!

I am not saying give up just so far the shots shown have been taken with much different equipment. You can do a lot with a compact camera.

You do need to use a big camera check out the panasonic-lumix-dmc-gm5 with interchangable lenseswhen you are ready though

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-...860f75d&s_kwcid=402x349794&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

Don't stick to those settings as it can vary. Use ISO 400 or below, f8-11 and use spot metering on the moon to give you the shutter speed. The moon actually moves faster than you think so don't have the shutter too slow.

Here's my latest effort, but I'm far from happy with it. I might look at shooting through a telescope as above.

Morning Moon by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! Thank you for the link, alfbranch, but I've only just bought my TZ55 - maybe next year...

@snerkler - super photo! I like it - well done!

Don't stick to those settings as it can vary. Use ISO 400 or below, f8-11 and use spot metering on the moon to give you the shutter speed. The moon actually moves faster than you think so don't have the shutter too slow.

Here's my latest effort, but I'm far from happy with it. I might look at shooting through a telescope as above.

Morning Moon by TDG-77, on Flickr
looks pretty good to me, lots of detail in there, especially the craters on the terminator

two from me - it was very hit and miss for me and a lot of tweaking, trial and error

Not the best but .........

D5100 - ƒ/5.6 - 210.0 mm - 1/80 - ISO 100

Moon by Jon Parry, on Flickr

and

D7100 - ƒ/13.0 - 200.0 mm - 1/320 - ISO 800

Moon by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Both manual focus (through live view) on a tripod with remote release

Bracket a few stops either side with both shutter and aperture and choose the best one when you get home. Process in black and white usually looks better then colour.

Only if you dont zoom in, the more you zoom in, the faster the shutter speed you need.
You are going to struggle without a tripod, but if you can find something to attach the monopod to, so it is held steady, that will help.
Can you tie it to a fence post, garden chair or similar? You want to be able to leave it hands off, so you dont cause any movement.
Once set up, use the self timer to give a 10 second delay, this will allow any vibration from pressing the shutter to settle before it fires.
If you are going to zoom in on the moon, use the optical zoom only (20x), this will give an equivalent focal length of 420mm (ish). Using the digital zoom to go even closer may work, but I find it looses a lot of detail on my panasonic compact.
If you are going zoomed in on the moon, I would suggest using Aperture Priority mode with the exposure compensation set to -2 as a starting point and keep the ISO on 100. If that is still over exposed, then switch to Manual mode for a faster shutter speed.
Hope this helps a bit and good luck.

Just a thought, find out when the moon will be at it's largest in the night sky. There are times when it's very close to the Earth. This will lessen the need for a large zoom or big crop.

Great photos, Jon:)!

Brian, Steve and Nostromo - thanks for the very helpful ideas and tips!

Nostromo - the full moon was Wednesday, 25th - I googled it;)! Unfortunately, there was heavy cloud here!

FB_IMG_1449051467315.jpg

This is a snap shot of the moon I took whilst driving home one night in the summer (I stop the car first).
It's only a small crop, 70-300 lens at 300, this was hand held so isn't the clearest image.
I can't remember my other settings, but the moon was quite big in the sky, so my point is, there will be times when the opportunity to get a close up are better than others.
P.s this is taken from Facebook so images quality has been mashed by them a bit as well.

Next full moon will be christmas day, so there's an excuse if you need to escape the family for a while:)

Next full moon will be christmas day, so there's an excuse if you need to escape the family for a while:)

Ha-ha! Ideal:D!

Great shots, guys!

Slightly counterintuitively, full moon is one of its least interesting phases photographically. It's like shooting a portrait of a person lit flatly from the front. snerkler's shot shows the edges of the craters side lit which throws them into far sharper relief and makes it much more interesting.

As far as exposure goes, the moon is lit by the Sun, so I use the "sunny f/16" rule (Google is your friend!) as a starting point then add or subtract a bit if needed. I try to keep the shutter speed up to 1/250th and brace myself against something solid - handholding allows far quicker reframing than any tripod!

Nod - thanks for the tip:)! I'll give it a go!

Nostromo - thanks for the link! I'm a fan of the Digital Photography School tutoriala. I find them very helpful and clearly written:)!

Just a thought, find out when the moon will be at it's largest in the night sky. There are times when it's very close to the Earth. This will lessen the need for a large zoom or big crop.

Not really worth it. The difference in size in miniscule. The whole idea of a 'super'moon is hype....

Supermoon%202012.jpg

See how much bigger the Supermoon on the left is? Or is it the one on the right?

hmmm. Right one.

Be good to see it at all at the moment.

If I am a good boy I will be getting a Nexus Web cam to fit into the 8"telecope for Christmas.

Be able to see that little fella walking around on the moon then

:):):):):olympus:

Back