How can I take better photos?

Maybe you should save the time you're spening going out to games and posting on here to be reading up if you need more time? Perhaps then you'll be competent enough to deliver us some images that are at least good enough to give you more accurate and precise C+C. With this current material we're just having to tell you the basics and that'll never work over an internet forum. You can't run before you can walk, so stop trying.

if you go on his flickr feed there is some decent stuff, not everyone is up to championship league pitch-side standard just yet...
If the guy wants help taking better pictures - inform him about the composition, focus, image content.. not about his lifestyle and how much time he's spend reading the manual, did you read your cars manual? or just assume you knew how you knew how to use it because its a car, they're all laid out (basically) the same way; then maybe refer to it (or a forum) when you get a bit stuck on how to change the bar-stewarding time when the clocks go back and forth :LOL:

Why don't we just shut down this forum and go back to reading books for any knowledge we require, yes I agree I am abit daft(I never read books) but nobody will learn anything with insults ect.

if you go on his flickr feed there is some decent stuff, not everyone is up to championship league pitch-side standard just yet...
If the guy wants help taking better pictures - inform him about the composition, focus, image content.. not about his lifestyle and how much time he's spend reading the manual, did you read your cars manual? or just assume you knew how you knew how to use it because its a car, they're all laid out (basically) the same way; then maybe refer to it (or a forum) when you get a bit stuck on how to change the bar-stewarding time when the clocks go back and forth :LOL:

I think that you might want to inform yourself about Gaz's history before remonstrating with someone who has a considerable amount of experience in sports photography?

Why don't we just shut down this forum and go back to reading books for any knowledge we require, yes I agree I am abit daft(I never read books) but nobody will learn anything with insults ect.

OK, a couple of us have tried to give you some support and help in this thread and this is the second post where you have thrown that advice back in people's faces.

You have a history of doing this vis-a-vis your 'stolen photo' claims. I cut you some slack following that one but yet again you've proved that I was a mug to do so.

Fine, I'll give it to you in plain language:

Currently your photographs are crap, and any that you are in focus or properly exposed is due to pure fluke.

We are not here to spoon feed you; if you want to educate yourself, then that's fine, but learning requires effort. Why the bloody hell should we give you everything when you can't be arsed to put any effort in yourself.

Now either put some effort of your own in to your hobby, or sod off and bother some other forum; we aren't suckers on here.

Last edited:
I think that you might want to inform yourself about Gaz's history before remonstrating with someone who has a considerable amount of experience in sports photography?

apologies, that's not what i was saying, (or intending too if it sounded like that) but since when did anybody just become a pro overnight? everyone must have been at the stage where we're just starting out, just practicing, taking pictures of some grass roots football.. this guy wanted help improving some of his pictures his technique, and we got onto slating him for how much of the manual he's read?

apologies, that's not what i was saying, (or intending too if it sounded like that) but since when did anybody just become a pro overnight? everyone must have been at the stage where we're just starting out, just practicing, taking pictures of some grass roots football.. this guy wanted help improving some of his pictures his technique, and we got onto slating him for how much of the manual he's read?

As I said, read the back history - and the whole of this thread for that matter.

No one has come close to insulting you, in fact i feel insulted that you cant even be arsed to do the basics, along with others ive tried to help but you threw it back in my face and for that very reason you can go take a jump, ive finished here with you.

Your composition is ok but I would work on that, also its all about anticipating what is going to happen, You just seem way off with the action. Try some continuous shooting when something happens and make sure you get the best shot possible.

Just keep shooting you will get better!

(y)

Just as Mark and i thought, youre not actually focussing on your intended subject but youre just centering your subjects in the frame and hitting the shutter, the focus is hitting whatever is in the centre iof the frame, you need to track your subject with the centre AF point

Lesson No1, put the camera away and dig out the manual and read it from front to back several times, you need at least a basic understanding of how your camera and its AF system, tracking and AF expansion/assist points works before you pick it up again.

Please for now dont get sidetracked into buying a new lens, theres absolutly nothing wrong with what youre using for the moment, whats at fault is you and your understanding and technique, a new lens will only make whats currently in focus a bit sharper and whats out of focus much softer due to the narrower depth of field and this will frustrate you even more.

Dont buy off Gumtree unless you want a good kicking and your cash pinching.

All this may seem pretty harsh Gaz but from your questioning regarding how to choose your AF point and other questions its blatantly obvious you need to go right back to basics, you obviously dont understand your equipment, how it works, how to use it or its capabilities.

I think you need to join a camera club and get some one on one tuition and READ THE MANUAL SEVERAL TIMES OVER.

We can talk you through some things but i woukld suggest that you would be better with one on one.
Thank's Gary(y)

Back