How could I have made this better?

Edit My Images
Yes
19032006-58.jpg

I've been back to one of my favourite haunts. Shot about 100 frames and ended up with one I was sort of pleased with.

My thoughts are.....

1) the shingle is a bit too dark. Hard to correct this one without introducing too much noise.

2) colours look a bit unnatural. This was taken from the in-camera jpeg and is quite warm, perhaps a bit pink again? (obviously my pink period!) Bear in mind that this was taken 35 mins after sunset. I've tried re-processing the raw, but I either end up with a nastily clipped red channel and bad posterisation in the sky or a really cold lookin scene.

Exif info is......

25 sec @f11 and iso80. On the 'pod, IS off, Tripod actually in waves!

Your comments and critique are appreciated as always!

The colours in this type of shot always look a bit unnatural I think. Perhaps if you could change point of view to have just the foreground rocks and sea it would look better? or maybe clone out the building lights in the background.

It is a beautiful image - I think I prefer a crop of approx. 1/4 off the bottom as the shigle looks a bit "heavy" and grabs the attention. Possibly the four brightest yellow lights could go, still leaving the information as to evening by the remaining lights.

I think the lights have to go.

Where is it BTW?

This is a great shot that has bags of potential...

The problems that I see and please remember it is all subjective are...its an awkward crop and that is making the picture sit strange. There is pleanty of interest all over the picture but it is not balanced with the large, dark, empty section of shingle running all the way from the bottom to the top on the right hand side. Then you have the distracting lights in the distance and the one slight, more orange cloud breaking up the perfect graduations of the sky.

A simple crop to balance the shot, leaving the rocks to lead the eyes through the frame, a little selective cloning and for me you end up with not only a good shot, but a great one that I wished I had taken. This would make an excellent print :)

19032006-58.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I agree, the lights do have to go. Having said that though, at A3ish sizes there is a lot more detail visible in the distance, i.e. the lights are sperate and clearer. I'll have a play.

I think that crop works really well steve, you've solved the problem for me. Something just felt uncomfortable about the image and you've hit the nail on the head. Thanks for the help and massive compliment! ;)

P.s.

It's Burton Bradstock, Sammy. It's the bit of coast between portland and lyme regis on the south dorset coast. Next time I'm goin I'll give you a shout if you want to come?

Cheers mate, that's be good. Obviously I'd have to get clearance from the boss!

A great shot in the first instance, but I like steves crop and agree would make a nice postcard/wall print.

I'll keep you updated Sammy, It won't be until next month, but at least then it won't be so chuffing cold and the light will be better/longer.

I think I'm gonna pass the original file over to my printing/framing friend to get it done at A3 and framed. He's very good at getting the best out of stuff.

that's an belter of a shot gandhi! the crop steve has done works very well and improves the composition too.

nice one

Really 'moody' shot , have to agree with Fangman on the crop though , losing the bottom 1/4 balances the shot (imo ;)).

Had a quick fiddle to see what it would look like :-

beach.jpg

If I'd taken it the A3 poster would have been ordered by now:thumb:

Back