How do I bend this bit?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello.

I am working on a Panorama in PSE6 and I'm happy with it, apart from one bit:

test_crop11.jpg

This is one little part, and the pointy bit of the ship (I'm not a sailer!) is bending away from the Quay. Is there a way to 'grab' it and pull it back towards the quay so straighting the ship?

Thanks (y)

Edit: picture made smaller.

I don't know if you can do this in PSE6 but I just did a hack job in CS3

You need to select the boat. I used the quick selection tool, but it will need a bit of help to get all the bits.. I'd use quick mask to tidy up the selected/unselected areas.

Now with the boat selected, use FREE TRANSFORM holding down the control key and stretch the selection until it is in the correct place.

OK you now have a big hole where the boat was. Use the clone tool to fill in the water.

It's not a quick job as you have to make sure your selection covers most things. I found I left the odd passenger hanging in mid air.

This is one job where a tablet comes into it's own

Thanks, but that moves the whole front of the ship uniformly, as one thing. Anyway I can grab the very front of it and twist it inwards?

PS: sorry about the size of the picture :D

Are you saying you want the ship to look as though it's parallel with the dockside?

Well, a bit closer than it is now. Here is the original photo, which went into the panorama:

test_crop2.jpg

I don't know of a solution for PSE6, for something like that I'd probably use a 3D app and distort it using UV mapping then finish up with the clone tool.

OK, thanks. I was hoping there was something in PSE6 which would fix it.....

You do realise that the ship is actually that far away from the quay - you can tell this by the reflection. So if this is not the result of any distortion.

It could be retouched but it's a fair bit of PS work.

(Essentially you would have to mask off the quayside then copy the boat and rotate it - clone in the water behind it, clean up all the edges etc.)

Why bother?

...because the ship is the main focus of the panorama, and it looks a bit odd, bent at the pointy end.

You could try cutting the boat out using the lasoo tool, clone and heal the area of water left behind after cutting the ship out. paste the ship onto the quayside, you'll probably need to rotate it , and save it all under a different name. Open the original pic, lasoo tool again and cutout the quayside, paste it over the ship in the pic you saved keeping the layer to the front. probably need a bit cropping toobut you might end up with a smaller tip.

...because the ship is the main focus of the panorama, and it looks a bit odd, bent at the pointy end.

TBH, it doesn't, it just looks like a normal ship, in the correct proportions, I am not sure 'unbending' it would add anything. However, the technicques mentioned would work if you really want to do it, but as already said 'why bother?' it honestly doesnt look necessary or in anyway odd. ;)

Thanks, but that moves the whole front of the ship uniformly, as one thing. Anyway I can grab the very front of it and twist it inwards?

PS: sorry about the size of the picture :D

You need to drag the front of the boat towards the quay at an angle of about 30 deg. It's not really and elegant solution, as it does leave a lot of retouching to be done afterwards

test_crop11a.jpg

As I said just a quick hack job, hence bits missing and really naff cloning of the water

To do it properly would take more time especially the masking. Plus a bit more water to clone from would help

As I said this was done in CS3 but yo may not be able to do it in PSE6. Personally I think the version you have looks OK

I'm a little mythed ?sp? at this to be honest.....maybe if we could see the overall panorama?

it looks ok to me...not terrible and certainly not worth the work...

maybe the overall picture shows it a little better..

Have you tried using a more advanced piece of Panoramic Software, such as

http://www.panoramafactory.com/

It has a free 30 day trial. It handles lens distrotion ver well and allows you to manually 'tweak' the inidividual joins to help even more.

Its all i use for stitching.

Give it a go - what have you got to lose :shrug:

Chris

Well, here is the panorama (800 wide). You can see how the ship looks 'wrong'.

The ship and the steam train (far right of the shot) were not there at the same time, they were half an hour apart:

lake_panorama.jpg

The whole pier around the boat looks wrong. I wonder if there are enough elements for it to give a true rendition. In Photoshop you have the choice of how it reproduces the "stitched " image. If your software has the same options have you tried changing them to see if it helps

Sorry can't be of much more help but I've never come across anything quite like this

I think it's the pier and not the boat that is the problem. The reflection in the water of the hills doesn't look right either. The top of the reflection looks most peculiar, I can't quite figure what is wrong with it, but I am sure the scalloped top edge isn't right.

Looks like you uses a very wide angle lens that has introduced a lot of distortion to the images, I think thats why things look 'wrong'. With panoramas you really want to use a lens with the least distortion possible, something like a good 35mm or 50mm prime for instance.

well you will have to make the adjustment on the finished panorama.

Basically I duplicated front of the ship on another layer - chose image distort to free distort the ship

Then I cloned the water over the front of the ship on the base layer. and did a spot of tidying up.

Simple really - but you can tell it's been worked on.

I reckon the problem might be the settings you've used to create your pano.

Look at the difference between these two half-finished panos:

SR-D02015-pano-orig-v2-x800.jpg

SR-D02015-pano-orig-v1-x800.jpg

The riverside path is straight in reality, and it's straight(-ish) in #2 but not in #1.

Back