Beginner how do I upload photos

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Can someone please help as I have tried several times to upload a photo to get advice but I keep getting
the following message when after clicking "upload file" it gets to 100%. If I do what the message says I am back at home screen. I cannot find any help notes on the site to find out what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance

upload_2016-4-30_8-59-32.png

Can someone please help as I have tried several times to upload a photo to get advice but I keep getting
the following message when after clicking "upload file" it gets to 100%. If I do what the message says I am back at home screen. I cannot find any help notes on the site to find out what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 63419
Most people use Flickr to host their images.

When you have uploaded an image you should return to your 'photostream' - 2nd tab along under your profile picture (or heading if you haven't uploaded a pic); it's also available in the drop down menu under the 'You' tab at the top of the page.
Click on the image and it will open.
At the bottom right of the image there is a curved arrow pointing to the right (share photo). Click on this.
A pop up box appears with a selection along the top. The one you want is the 'BBcode'.
You should select the size you want to share - probably 'large' 1024 x 685 or there abouts. You are limited by Talk Photography to the size of image you can put in your post.
Copy the 'BBcode' and paste it in your post.

I'll check how to directly upload to TP :)

Last edited:
Thanks Kendo

I have never gone onto gallery as I didn't know I needed on. Now I have seen this I still cannot upload as I get an error. My photos in JPEG are 11.4MB or RAW 24.7MB. Does that mean I am never going to be able to use the forums for advice?

Thanks Kendo

I have never gone onto gallery as I didn't know I needed on. Now I have seen this I still cannot upload as I get an error. My photos in JPEG are 11.4MB or RAW 24.7MB. Does that mean I am never going to be able to use the forums for advice?

Either resize them before uploading or use Flickr. If someone wants to see the full size they can look at your Flickr image.

As you will have noticed, pretty much everyone (apart from the moose :D ) uploads images - 11MB is not out of the ordinary.

Sorry, you're trying to upload circa 12 or 25MB images directly to the forum?
@Marcel would love that!

You may wish to adhere to these file size limits:
Max file size: 350 KB
Max image width: 1,024 pixels
Max image height: 1,024 pixels

Else as @kendo1 says, upload to flickr(1) and then link from there.

(1) Other file hosting sites also exist

The reason for the file size limit is so that pages load faster for everyone - not everyone is on superfast broadband, there might still be some on dial up :)

Not to mention those on PAYG mobiles etc..

I use photobucket to get photos on here. it is a free online photo storage program

Thanks all for your help.
I do not have a need to have online accounts for my photos so can anyone advise how to reduce 11.4mb to 350kb as I cannot see how from google on my pic.

Thanks all for your help.
I do not have a need to have online accounts for my photos so can anyone advise how to reduce 11.4mb to 350kb as I cannot see how from google on my pic.

If you would like to share and let people see the whole image, I'd say you do need an online host :)

Anyway, what are you using - PC or Mac?

PC will have paint and you can just open your image with that and choose resize at top left. Save the image as a jpeg and call it something else (add a letter to the end) so you don't lose the original image.

I'm not familiar with Mac.

Many thanks Kendo

I have a PC. I have never used paint before for photo as I only ever thought it was for drawing, which I haven't done for years (85% of my PC app use is excel or word).

At last here is one taken on Nikon D5300 with Tamron 16-300 lens on Aperture Priority, f8, ISO400, AF-C, Dynamic Area AF (39points), Centre weighted metering and standard picture controlDSC_0427v2.jpg

Yay. Glad you managed it.
I must say, that was an odd error message as it referred to a security issue rather than the real issue (being file size).

I'm with @kendo1 though. Get yourself a free flickr, google photo or other account for hosting shot. That way you cab upload the full res image and link a smaller (browser freindly) version here.
Two benefits - 1. You've uploaded the full res image with people can click through to if they want and 2. It keeps the file size down for those viewing your page.

Get Flickr and use this simple method.(y):)

Many thanks to you all. I am learning fast.
There is a whole lot of tutorials under the tutorial heading, on the top task bar on each page
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/tutorials/

easy peasey method of uploading from flicker
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/tutorials/inserting-images-from-flickr-updated-22-08-15.7/

or you can up load from your device by attaching a file ( middle button bottom right)
Click that and click the image that is stored on your device.

However, If attaching a file direct from your PC / device, into a thread.
this must not exceed 1024px on the longest side or 350Kb
otherwise it will fail to up load.

Last edited:
Back