How do i use lens cleaning fluid?

Name
Jamie unwin
Edit My Images
No
Hi
I have just bought a lens cleaning kit from jessops but there wern't any instructions with it. And the only thing i don't now how to use is the lens cleaning fluid. Does anyone now how to use it?

I bought my first lens cleaning kit the other day. A quick search on you tube sorted me out :)

1. Use blower and/or brush to make sure lens is TOTALLY dust free.
2. Extract one sheet of lens tissue from pack.
3. Apply ONE DROP of fluid to tissue.
4. Fold tissue in half and slide top half over bottom half to spread fluid into tissue.
5. Wipe lens. Discard tissue.
6. Extract another sheet of lens tissue.
7. Wipe fluid off lens. Breathing on lens before you do this may help.

However, make certain that you never place the fluid directly on the lens.

Additionally, using a lens hood and a lens cap religiously will cut the frequency of lens cleaning required. The fewer times you need to clean the lens, the better for the lens.

I really like using the OPTECH Hood Hat as a lens cap while I am out shooting. It is very easy to take off and replace over the lens hood.

http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=16&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=6

When I store my lenses, I store them with both the plastic lens caps and Hood Hats attached.

If I use a lens cap, I have found that center-pinch caps are far easier to remove and replace when using a lens hood than edge pinch caps. Some manufacturers, such as Canon, provide edge pinch caps as their standard issue. It is very easy and inexpensive to purchase Chinese knock-off center-pinch caps to replace the manufacturer's caps. I have replaced all my Canon caps with Chinese center-pinch models.

I began when I purchased a used Canon 300mm f/4L IS lens that was mint in all respects except for a cracked lens cap. I was able to replace all five of my Canon lens caps with Chinese center-pinch models, from eBay, for less cost than replacing that one Canon cap with a Canon model.

I have tried lens cleaning fluid and they leave smears, ok right or wrong I just use meths soaked onto a kitchen towel, then wiped off with a dry kitchen towel and it works great.
Filters are the biggest bugbear and that leaves them as new. Far cheaper than any lens fluid but i wouldn't use it on sensors.

Realspeed

I have some Baader lens cleaning fluid and a special microfiber cloth designed for cleaning astronomy lenses and eyepieces. However, it works a treat on anything optical, and I have used it on my camera lenses. It's even removed the remains of a hail shower from one of my astro eyepieces that I left in the scope whilst waiting for the moon to rise over the house with no ill effects.

Back