how do you dry your film?

Name
Edit My Images
No
Im getting a little fed up with my MF film curving, sometimes quite severely, during the drying process. Without buying a special film drying cabinet is there anything i can do DIY to help drying film flat! At the moment i just hang it in the bathroom with a weight across the full width of the end of the film.

I hang film in the bathroom from a line, supported at the top by a Paterson film clip and with a weighted version of the same at the bottom. I haven't had your problem, so perhaps some films are more prone than others. I use either PanF or FP4 in 120 (in that order of preference).

Last edited:
H'mm you are only doing what millions of other people have been doing over the years...as soon as it's dry you could put the negs in between the pages of a heavy book, but not much use if you want to scan\print straight away.

Not really had much trouble with curling film, I remember Foma curling along its length which was a pain in the arse and delta 3200 always seemed proper springy, but I don't shoot them anymore so it doesn't matter.
If you dry them overnight weighted, I dunno why they aren't behaving, especially if they're 120.
I've read that humidity can be a factor, or lack of it but well....this is England......the dampest place on Earth.
Never given it much thought before but does hardener in fixer have any effect because I use the same fixer for film that I use for prints which doesn't have hardener.

I do the same too, paterson or jobo clips on the top.and weighted versions on the bottom. Some films do seem to have a tendency to curl a lot more than others. Rollei films are the worst I've used for doing this. The heavy book trick works quite well but to get it really flat, it needs a few days and a very heavy book.

Back