how does warranty work on new item

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
If I have a new camera lets say that is still in the box brand new and unopened.. never been registered anywhere

can anyone then open the box and register the warranty on it ~?

'It depends', both upon brand and location.
For example (not a description specific to UK),
  • some 'official distributor' organizations do not care much about the warranty card as much as they care that you have proof of purchase from a recognized 'official retailer' who the distributor sells goods to.
  • In other cases, the 'official distributor' very much cares that 'their regustration card' has been filled in, and not the 'factory-supplied warranty card'.
...in an effort to discourage 'gray market' seller purchases within their distribution territory. And if you made a purchase outside their territory, while on travel to some international locale, their simply want the receipt with date of purchase, to establish that you are within the 'factory warranty' period.

Last edited:
On general I thought that ones legal rights to exercise a warranty claim would require proof of purchase.

Registration is to smooth the process or give some mutual benefit I.e. buyer may get some extension free for registration and the company learns something about the buyer/user.

If said new buy unused product is by sales invoice date older than the warranty period = out of time to make a claim.

The above is just my understanding (based on the questions)

On general I thought that ones legal rights to exercise a warranty claim would require proof of purchase.

Registration is to smooth the process or give some mutual benefit I.e. buyer may get some extension free for registration and the company learns something about the buyer/user.

If said new buy unused product is by sales invoice date older than the warranty period = out of time to make a claim.

The above is just my understanding (based on the questions)
That’s my understanding of it too.
I rarely register products for warranty, and the only time I ever had a product fail in a warranty period, dealing with the manufacturer (as per their warranty terms) wasted months and created aggro, as soon as I got in touch with the retailer they sorted it out.

Short answer - the law says your warranty is with the retailer and is based on proof of purchase. The ‘warranty card’ in your camera box is just so the manufacturer can build a relationship / harvest your data, depending on your view.

OK then as its not so clear cut :) How about ..... I have a CANON lens coming to me from the insurerer to replace mine.. I may not want to keep it.. Its mine its uk..i probably wont even open the box when it arrives.. so I can sell it.. but what about the warranty card

OK then as its not so clear cut :) How about ..... I have a CANON lens coming to me from the insurerer to replace mine.. I may not want to keep it.. Its mine its uk..i probably wont even open the box when it arrives.. so I can sell it.. but what about the warranty card
Having never had such a 'delivery'......

On the basis that the insurer doesn't have a stock gear sitting on the shelf, they must have bought it recently to send to you.....therefore a question for them to answer and IMO provide some sort of certified document 'invoice' so that you have in effect to prove your ownership started on a certain date.

Having said that, contact Canon to ask them as you would not be the first person to need to know the warranty status of a new lens supplied(?) by an insurance company ;)

Generally in the UK your contract is with the retailer and any problems should be dealt with by the retailer but there is nothing stopping you from dealing directly with the manufacturer.

Therefore in your case there is no "retailer" so whoever buys the lens would have to deal with the manufacturer directly. Provided the camera or lens has not been registered then I see no reason why the buyer could not register the product withe the manufacturer using the included warranty card deal with them directly should an issue arise. The only issue that I foresee is that Canon may require a proof of purchase in order to register the warranty.

Bit of a minefield.. Cant see anyone buying it without 100% use of warranty.. the lens is £13k + brand new... Might try LCE or MPB or even keep :)

From Canon's FAQ:
If you wish to specifically request a warranty repair under the European Warranty System (EWS) then it will always be necessary for you to provide Canon with the original valid proof of purchase (including original date of purchase) for the product in question and, in some cases, a completed warranty card may also be required. Please require to the specific country in question for specific requirements.

Q: If I have bought a Canon product and I later decide to give this / sell this to someone else within the specified European Warranty System (EWS) warranty period, does this EWS warranty transfer with the product?

A: Yes, Canon products are covered by the European Warranty System (EWS) regardless of whom the actual product owner is. However the start and end date of the warranty will apply to the original purchase date and not the date of subsequent sale. If you wish to specifically request a warranty repair under the European Warranty System (EWS) then it will always be necessary for you to provide Canon with the original valid proof of purchase (including original date of purchase) for the product in question and, in some cases, a completed warranty card may also be required. Please require to the specific country in question for specific requirements.

Bit of a minefield.. Cant see anyone buying it without 100% use of warranty.. the lens is £13k + brand new... Might try LCE or MPB or even keep :)

Could you contact the insurance company with the information provided above and ask for a copy of the invoice, telling them you need it in order to register the warranty.

Could you contact the insurance company with the information provided above and ask for a copy of the invoice, telling them you need it in order to register the warranty.

oh you can be sure I will be asking for my proof of ownership :) Looks the the warranty can be transfered then

MPB are offering me £7,400 for it as they say even in an unopened box its still classed as second hand ..

Personally I would wait until I had received the lens to see what, if any, paperwork was supplied with the lens, and then if still unsure I would contact Canon to see if the paperwork was a valid document for making a warranty claim.

^^. THIS ^^ - Surely Canon would accept paperwork from a reputable insurer.

Back