How good is a Nikon D2X in comparison to the latest machinery?

Name
Steve.
Edit My Images
Yes
Got the chance of getting a D2X with very low actuations and I wondered how good this camera is. I know it's not as good as the D700 and D3 of course but does it compare well with a D300? I already have a D2HS which I haven't really used yet as I am new to photography and am about to learn but thought I'd consider getting this for the extra resolution it has over the D2Hs. Also was the D2XS much better than the D2X? Thanks in advance for any replies I may receive.

Aside from higher ISO capabilities I'd say the D2Xs (which I have) is as good as a D700 or D3 in all aspects that matter, but it's also different too as the FX/DX format does carry some important differences

Is the D2X as good as a D300 (which I also have) - yes I say, if not better - aside from higher ISO again and not having such a huge screen to view on the back

Remember the D2X was Nikon's top Pro camera period, and has no successor in the DX format - so it's still very much top-dog IMO - unless, you need to use it much & often above 400 ISO, where the D300 is better

Chances are my D300 will break long before my D2Xs though, and it needs more care in crappy weather too. Also, and I found this so annoying I bought the grip for the D300, the D300's battery lasts nowhere near as long as the one in the D2X

There were minor changes to the D2Xs 'upgrade' - but nothing truly significant

HTH

DD

I think it's brilliant - I think we covered all this a while back though, didn't we?

I'd still be more than happy using a D2x or 'xs to go on jobs with, if I hadn't been 'given' the D3 and D3x bodies...

Aside from higher ISO capabilities I'd say the D2Xs (which I have) is as good as a D700 or D3 in all aspects that matter, but it's also different too as the FX/DX format does carry some important differences

Is the D2X as good as a D300 (which I also have) - yes I say, if not better - aside from higher ISO again and not having such a huge screen to view on the back

Remember the D2X was Nikon's top Pro camera period, and has no successor in the DX format - so it's still very much top-dog IMO - unless, you need to use it much & often above 400 ISO, where the D300 is better

Chances are my D300 will break long before my D2Xs though, and it needs more care in crappy weather too. Also, and I found this so annoying I bought the grip for the D300, the D300's battery lasts nowhere near as long as the one in the D2X

There were minor changes to the D2Xs 'upgrade' - but nothing truly significant

HTH

DD

Thanks, Diddy. The D2X is an excellent camera then. It's the D2XS that you have though. Perhaps I should get one of these instead of the D2X or wasn't there that much difference at all?

I think it's brilliant - I think we covered all this a while back though, didn't we?

I'd still be more than happy using a D2x or 'xs to go on jobs with, if I hadn't been 'given' the D3 and D3x bodies...

It was the D2HS that you were very kind to advise me on previously. Thanks for your above reply again. I'm just wondering now about getting a D2XS instead of the D2X though this will cost more money I'm sure in the same condition and low mileage.

TBH the X-s wouldn't bother me overly much since neither of them performed so well at high ISOs anyway...
If there's a good 'X available with a low shutter-count, go for it...

The Xs was remarkably few changes, the most useful is there's an option for gridlines in the viewfinder, useful if you can't hold a camera straight :LOL:

Other than that they were so minor I didn't even bother make a mental note of what they are

Bit like buying the latest Porsche because it's got 8 speakers instead of 6 and paying £5,000 for the difference = daft

If the D2X is in good nick & price, buy it, I wouldn't wait for a D2Xs for more than £50 more

DD

Thanks again, both. Not much difference between D2X and D2XS then. I was concerned because I seem to remember that the D2HS was quite a bit improved over the D2H with better Iso performance and a 12 bit something or other over an 8 bit. What will the D2X give me that the D2HS won't? I'm just trying to talk myself into buying this D2X?

Or shall I get a used D300 instead of the D2X to complement the D2HS?

hi, dont take this the wrong way and i mean no disrespect to you but i've been reading a lot of your posts over the last few weeks. you are always saying in your posts that you are new to photography and about to start learning and yet you buy a d2h without any clue as to what you've bought then ask " is it any good " and now your asking about back-up cameras ! :thinking:another way to go about it would be to channel all of your energy into actually understanding photography and get out and do some. then you would now which things you like about it and which you dont so then build your gear up to suit your needs and interests.
sorry if this sounds patronising but you could end up wasting a lot of cash.

hi, dont take this the wrong way and i mean no disrespect to you but i've been reading a lot of your posts over the last few weeks. you are always saying in your posts that you are new to photography and about to start learning and yet you buy a d2h without any clue as to what you've bought then ask " is it any good " and now your asking about back-up cameras ! :thinking:another way to go about it would be to channel all of your energy into actually understanding photography and get out and do some. then you would now which things you like about it and which you dont so then build your gear up to suit your needs and interests.
sorry if this sounds patronising but you could end up wasting a lot of cash.

Thank you for the above. You are of course 100% correct and I do need to go out and start taking some pics and actually learn the photography bit.(y)

I thought the D2x had a firmware upgrade that all but brought it up to the standard of the D2Xs? Don't have one so don't know for certain.

I thought the D2x had a firmware upgrade that all but brought it up to the standard of the D2Xs? Don't have one so don't know for certain.

Thanks for your reply. Does anyone know how much of an upgrade the above is? Does it make it the same as the D2XS?

I have been lucky, I wanted a D2x for 18months and someone on here pointed me to a brand new one from a very strange bloke who buys the latest gear and puts it in a glass cabinet:wacky: but luckily for me it only had 1400 actuations and Nikon do them to test them:LOL: but its a bloody fantastic camera with very rich colours (setting dependant) and fast for action so if you can get a good one all I can say is go for it(y)

By the way ......its this good

_DSC0083.jpg

Back