how I check a roof gutter

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Yes of course I could get a company in to do it but there are 4 huge oak trees in my garden, during a year the roof gutter needs cleaning several times and at £80+ a time it works out very expensive. So some years ago I invested in one of those vacuum machines , this one is the Skyvac atom model here in the uk
ok that is is the rundown of why now how to inspect?
the carbon fiber tubes slip together to give height so my thoughts were why not a small compact camera onto an end and see how bad the gutters get first.

DSC_2478.jpg

I came up with this cheap solution, using a Nikon L26 compact camera- a small flexable tripod and insulating tape. with it all set up now ideal to video the gutter to check. Below is a small section of the whole video during the gutter inspection

give you 1 guess of my next job

Last edited:
How good/successful is the wire mesh gutter guards. I was under the impression that they worked well to stop such leaf gather on the gutters...... especially those at height like yours?

Of aok then a combined professional gutter clean and same company/someone else to got them???

How good/successful is the wire mesh gutter guards. I was under the impression that they worked well to stop such leaf gather on the gutters...... especially those at height like yours?

Of aok then a combined professional gutter clean and same company/someone else to got them???
We use the "hedgehog" brushes in our gutters These.

Granted we do live in a bungalow but just pull 'em out in the summer, knock all the dried moss and leaves off and pop 'em back in again. Once every five years or so we have to scrape out the sandy deposits from the Redland roof tiles but not too arduous a task.

The trouble with the guards is making it harder to clean the sludge which will still inevitably build up.
Usually we get a lot of wind here, so leaves don't collect in them but this year has been calmer and some have already been done 3 times.
I also worry about bits of leaves getting down drains and starting a blockage, long stems e.g sycamore for example.

We use the "hedgehog" brushes in our gutters These.

Granted we do live in a bungalow but just pull 'em out in the summer, knock all the dried moss and leaves off and pop 'em back in again. Once every five years or so we have to scrape out the sandy deposits from the Redland roof tiles but not too arduous a task.

Ah! we were in Wickes today getting some extra bits for a garden project. I noticed some coiled up 'gutter brushes' and thought they were for cleaning the gutter!

So have learned something today.

PS like you our gutters are accessible with a short ladder, we have a chalet style house and do suffer from leaf debris from our own trees ;)

Ah! we were in Wickes today getting some extra bits for a garden project. I noticed some coiled up 'gutter brushes' and thought they were for cleaning the gutter!

So have learned something today.

PS like you our gutters are accessible with a short ladder, we have a chalet style house and do suffer from leaf debris from our own trees ;)
In that case, dear chap, I can highly recommend them. Granted not cheap but certainly worth the cost.(y)

Hedgehog or......I use a long piece of string and a small ball of materiel. Wet the materiel and insert at one end of the gutter....run the string to the other end.....and pull slowly!;)

Hedgehog or......I use a long piece of string and a small ball of materiel. Wet the materiel and insert at one end of the gutter....run the string to the other end.....and pull slowly!;)
not 20ft+ up over second floor window height

Yes but removing them can damage the tiles and make them porous I was told, best let them come off my themselves with heavy rain etc
Whilst that is true, leaving it all there can make it worse due to rooting slightly into the tiles and acting like a sponge sitting on top.
The actual best course of action in my opinion is to remove the moss and treat the tiles with a waterproofer afterwards.

Back