How is your hanging ?

Edit My Images
No
Hello all,

Just bought a load of kit and didnt really want to spend £80 on a background stand as i thought im getting a 3m x 6m white background and i could hang it from the ceiling using clamps and hooks.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a set of clamps. Im sure i saw some somewhere that were specific to the ob, but lost the site i saw them.

Does anyonehave any good idea to hang a background from the ceiling ??

Ta

A background support would be better because you can take it down and don't need to drill holes in the wall or ceiling but...

A pair of ladder hooks from Wickes or similar will be very secure and will do the job at least as well as the wall mounted background supports. You'll need a pipe of some sort to go through the hem of your background cloth and you may find that by the time you've bought that and the ladder hooks you're not saving a great deal

I'm doing something similar in my spare room - hopefully today - so I'll post some photos later.

In the meantime here are two photos I found last week (can't remember where):

1208292478_fig03.jpg

1208292478_fig05.jpg

Superb.

I am pretty much 100% sure a background support will be the best option, but at £80 i think its something to get next payday.

I have seen some clamps in Homebase which would do the job and hooking them up with a few ceiling hooks might do it and that woudl only cost about a tenner.

Might experiment when the kit gets here. Ordered it yesterday so hopefully it will arrive soon ?? :D

My setup is DIY and I'm still waiting for a price from a vinyl supplier for a white background but I started off with this DIY background setup, which I'll probably still use as a portable setup:

back1.jpg

I popped into Screwfix tonight for a pack of Vine Eyes £1 (the ceiling "hooks") and some rope and a piece of plastic pipe from Wickes (£7). I'm using some poles from an old gazebo as the "main" pole but it looks a bit bendy in these photos although it works.

back2.jpg

back3.jpg

The main piece of plastic pipe is 32mm from Wickes (£1.27) with some 40mm on the right-hand end to allow the overall length to be adjusted to fit the width of the room. Although not needed for this velcro tabbed backdrop (a fleece blanket from Dunhelm) I've included it in these photos.

back4.jpg

I need a better way of attaching the rope to the poles (it's more a proof of concept than a working design) and also haven't got any clamps at the moment but did wonder if these might do the job (sized to match the plastic pole) to stop the backdrop unravelling off the pole:

p1220525_l.jpg

It's all very DIY but I'm looking to learn without spending too much (well, until the need arises :) ). For any DIY inclined people I'll be adding a more comprehensive write up to my blog soon.

Back