How long do you keep images

Name
Tug
Edit My Images
Yes
I was just looking at a thread on another topic about back ups and how many other togs keep, It got me thinking as to how long sports images are saved for before discarding...or do you not discard anything and if not how do you keep backups??
Tug

Depends what the shoot is for..

If a league or prem game for papers I keep a copy of what i sent to the paper...well forever... and the rest i grudgingly delete

If for sale on my website.. I delete everything not used and the rest i again keep forever

I have pics on mem card
Transfer to computer
copy to external drive in "unprocessed" folder

I can now use the mem cards

I then process the pics and put one copy in my pic library on computer and copy the processed pics to mirror library on external HD

I delete the older unprocessed pics when the folder starts to get full but always somehting in there from last month just in case

From the moment the pictures are copied to my computer I always have at least 2 copies in different places of every pic I need

ADDYONBIT: As per the other thread i think you refer to.. I ahve stopped relying on what turns out to be highly unreliable CD/DVD storage

Last edited:
I use lightroom for my sports photos so the originals are always untouched on my harddrive. I delete anything that is no good, and certainly certainly keep everything that has been sent to agencies/publications in another folder as it was sent to them (ie cropped, resized, etc). Both my lightroom catalogue and that second agency export folder are backed up regularly onto an external harddrive, which itself has a mirror copy (that i update at home) - that way if im out shooting with my laptop and backup drive and loose all my kit i still have my catalogue on another drive at home.

I delete the duffers on import, but once kept always kept for me. Never been good at throwing stuff away.

Same.
You never know when you have something important there. I had a look back over a couple of games recently looking for a certain player that died in the recent coal mine disaster. Not great photos, but important no less.

Agreed...I keep anything and everything, unless it's completely unusable. Everything else goes to the agency as well (everything!) so they have it stored, as do I.

I had the same as John (Pope)...after the boks players were found to have given positive drug samples in the recent Rugby U internationals, we both went back through my files and found shots from the anthems lineups that I'd got.

The Chiliboy Ralapelle photo that's being attached to every article at the moment is one of mine...:D(y)

Simon
For events I keep a live link for 11 months and then remove (just before next years is due) the link. These stay on-line for another 24 months then are deleted. All events are stored on my second drive for two years but backed up on the networked storage drives and have these since 2006. Occasionally I get asked for the odd image but its usually of someone way beyond that.

I keep all my picked shots "for ever" ie I have no plans to delete any of them. I caption and/or keyword everything I keep as it's so much easier finding it again.

I agree on the potential to have a money making shot from some old "stock" player image, so I will try and get as much coverage of single players in action as pos, and if I cant get that it'll be an anthem shot or suchlike.

Yep i keep a backup of everything, so that the agency have a backup and i have several

we keep a rolling year on the website for sale and all keepers are kept for ever.

the current year has a copy on each of two internal hard drives and one copy on an external drive stored 15 miles away from my house.
the old stuff has one copy on hard drive and one on the external drive.

Back