How Long?

ASH

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, can anyone tell me how long you have to exchange a lens at Jessops?. On the 16th of this month I bought a Canon 5D and a Sigma 20-40 F2.8 DG lens.

No problems with the 5D but I'm not sure the lens it up to it, so I'm thinking of changing it for something better.

I was thinking of the Canon 17-40 F4L but it's not that fast at F4, and I don't have the cash for the 16-35 F2.8L. Any suggestions?.

As you can see I'm looking for a wide lens.

I would say that the Canon 17-40L is your best bet and best bang for your bucks too. At F4 its not as fast as a F2.8 but shooting in that range makes me wonder why you would need a fast lens...what type of photography are you planning on using it for?

Steve said:
I would say that the Canon 17-40L is your best bet and best bang for your bucks too. At F4 its not as fast as a F2.8 but shooting in that range makes me wonder why you would need a fast lens...what type of photography are you planning on using it for?

I was just trying to cover all the bases really Steve. If I was going to take an evening landscape shot for example. But then I can always use the tripod I suppose.

Most decent landscape shots have been captured with the use of a tripod and a much larger f stop than F4. Speed in a lens is probably the least important consideration for a landscape photographer :)

How did you buy the lens, was it mail order or over the counter as that could have a big effect of you being able to change it, however if you suspect that the quality is not as good as it should be than on that basis alone you should have grounds for a refund/exchange.

With my buying the 1DMK11N it meant my 17-85 EF-S was of no use on the camera, so I needed something wider. I went straight for the 17-40L knowing it's reputation, and I've been fortunate in picking up a mint 2nd hand one.

So far I'm really impressed with it - nice and crisp with good colour rendition, impressive build quality and it's weather resistant. :)

17mm on a full frame camera will give you a massive field of view. In your position I'd be seriously thinking about the 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 too. I love my 1.4 for low light work, but the FOV is a little cramped in tight conditions. With a full frame sensor, you wouldn't want to take it off the camera. ;)

Hi Steve, I bought it over the counter, but as for grounds on taking it back, it's the first Sigma lens I've had so I have no idea on how good or bad it should be.

I think I'll follow CT and exchange it for the Canon 17-40L. I also do a fair bit in the studio, and loved my EF-S 60, it's a great portrait lens on my 350D but no good for the 5D. what do you guys think of the EF 85 f1.8 as a portrait lens for the 5D?.

ASH said:
Hi Steve, I bought it over the counter, but as for grounds on taking it back, it's the first Sigma lens I've had so I have no idea on how good or bad it should be.

You wouldn’t need to know the quality of other Sigma lenses, all that matters as far as you are concerned is that the quality is not up to the standard that you expect for that lens. You require it to be replaced with either the 17-40L plus your will pay the difference (if that’s what you want) or you want a refund as it is clearly not up to the task. If they believe it to be fine then you use the angle that the problem must be with the new 5D that you bought at the same time…so its their choice, either replace/refund the lens or do the same for both…I bet they agree to the first ;)

ASH said:
I think I'll follow CT and exchange it for the Canon 17-40L. I also do a fair bit in the studio, and loved my EF-S 60, it's a great portrait lens on my 350D but no good for the 5D. what do you guys think of the EF 85 f1.8 as a portrait lens for the 5D?.
I have no experience with the 85 f1.8 lens but on a full frame camera it falls nicely in the right area for making a good portrait lens. I would also consider looking at the 70-200L as that is a great all rounder and will give you a good usable range for other stuff as well. If you get the f4 non IS version it will also not break the bank. Just a thought :)

Lots of retailers these days allow return of goods within 14 days, if unsatisfactory. I can't see Jessops giving you a hard time over this, particularly if you're buying an alternative lens, but you're entitled to a full refund if you're not satisfied

The Sale Of Goods Act, doesn't specify what is a 'reasonable time' in which to return goods, but most retailers have adopted the 14 days as a 'no questions asked' norm. The 14 days is by no means binding, and depending on circumstances, you could have a lot longer to return goods. I'd get to Jessops ASAP though while you're still within the 14 days.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

CT said:
Lots of retailers these days allow return of goods within 14 days, if unsatisfactory. I can't see Jessops giving you a hard time over this, particularly if you're buying an alternative lens, but you're entitled to a full refund if you're not satisfied

The Sale Of Goods Act, doesn't specify what is a 'reasonable time' in which to return goods, but most retailers have adopted the 14 days as a 'no questions asked' norm. The 14 days is by no means binding, and depending on circumstances, you could have a lot longer to return goods. I'd get to Jessops ASAP though while you're still within the 14 days.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

Thanks CT, I'll try and get into Jessops tomorrow.

ASH said:
. what do you guys think of the EF 85 f1.8 as a portrait lens for the 5D?.

I had the 85 f1.8, only on a D60 and 10D, it's a great lens, only sold it and a 100m f2 to go towards a 70-200 2.8 IS.

I should never have sold the 85mm f1.8 :eyesup: , you will like it for sure ! small light and sharp.

I doubt you will use it at f1.8 much though ! not much depth of field at all.

The 17-40 f4 L is great also, it's on my 10D as the standard lens now.

Mark.

Hi Mark, thanks for the info. My problem is this, I only have the cash for one lens at this time, and don't know which one to choose out of the 17-40L or the 85 prime.

I'm going to be doing a shoot in the studio in a week or so, and although I think the 85 will be a good portrait lens the 17-40L maybe a better all round lens. I also have to take into account the full frame of the 5D, which will show any weakness in the lens.

Have you thought about getting the 17-40 and the 50mm 1.8?

The 50mm could be used in the studio, just means you need to get closer to the subject.
If you have a none canon 1.4x Tele converter, if used with the 50mm you'll have a 70mm f2.

Back