How to carry a tripod.

Edit My Images
No
After some advice please. I have a backpack that I have modified the inserts to suit the kit I carry as despite having several in the past not one has had inserts that could be positioned to hold the kit I had at the time.
Now the only thing I'm struggling to accommodate is the tripod. This is a Manfrotto MT055CXPRO4 Carbon Fibre fitted with a Nest Gimbal. Collapsed its total length is 33 inches and it is quite heavy.

My question is what is the best way way to carry it 'hands free' so I can have my camera on a sling ready for use.

Should it be in a sling bag, attached to the backpack, carried in my hand ready to put down when I need to or is there another way? What do you do?

I swither between attached to backpack and using a tripod strap

I have tried on the side of the the backpack but the gimbal makes it so high it extend about 12" above the pack.

Since posting I have seen a sling where the legs attach to the bottom rear of the pack and there is a strap from the right shoulder strap to the tripod head. The tripod hangs level on the left side. I'll see if I can find the image again.

Whenever I needed to carry a tripod and gimbal any distance I’ve taken the gimbal off the tripod and put in in my back.
Only takes a few seconds.

With the MT055CXPRO4 removing (and replacing) the center column is quick and easy - could you strap the legs to one side, and the center column / head to the other?
(the weight will also be more balanced that way, if your pack permits it).

With the MT055CXPRO4 removing (and replacing) the center column is quick and easy - could you strap the legs to one side, and the center column / head to the other?
(the weight will also be more balanced that way, if your pack permits it).

Not easy and by no means quick to remove the column.

Last edited:
Not easy and by no means quick to remove the column.
I’ve had a manfrotto 55 carbon tripod a few years back. Back then it was a case of unscrewing the knob near the legs pivot point and on the long centre column depressed the safety latch on the bottom of the centre column. If you had the replacement short centre column there is no safety latch so it’s even quicker as it’s a case of unscrewing one knob. That was faster to do than take the quick release plate off a gitzo tripod which requires multiple quarter turns of securing knob.

Tripods aren’t the easiest things to carry and use quickly. If you want something to support a long lens and use quickly a monopod may be a better option.

When I take a tripod out I often walk with the tripod packed away. When I get to the photography location it comes out and the camera gets attached. It stays attached whilst I’m at that location. Only before leaving do I pack the tripod up and attach it again to the bag. At some wildlife locations where I’m walking about I will just leave the camera attach to the tripod as it’s quicker to set up as I move about. In those situations I just have to deal with the weight and awkwardness. It’s often why you see wildlife photographers with big lens attached to their tripod sling over their shoulder.

Anyone used one of these?

No but I would imagine that unless you can tuck all three legs intop the backpack loop, you'll end up with 2 of the legs opening and flapping about. It amuses me a 3LT tripod is shown in the promo image as that was the *worst* one I owned for flappy legs.

Mine gets bolted to the side of the backpack. It's a heavy setup with legs+head. Very often though, once I've unpacked it, I actually carry it part extended, either in one hand, or over my shoulder. It allows me to take those "I can't be bothered getting my tripod off my backpack and setting it up so I'll not bother taking the image" photographs. Much like Rob, when I get to a location, it comes off the pack, then over the shoulder or in-hand until time to move on to the next spot.

I’ve had a manfrotto 55 carbon tripod a few years back. Back then it was a case of unscrewing the knob near the legs pivot point and on the long centre column depressed the safety latch on the bottom of the centre column. If you had the replacement short centre column there is no safety latch so it’s even quicker as it’s a case of unscrewing one knob. That was faster to do than take the quick release plate off a gitzo tripod which requires multiple quarter turns of securing knob.

Tripods aren’t the easiest things to carry and use quickly. If you want something to support a long lens and use quickly a monopod may be a better option.

When I take a tripod out I often walk with the tripod packed away. When I get to the photography location it comes out and the camera gets attached. It stays attached whilst I’m at that location. Only before leaving do I pack the tripod up and attach it again to the bag. At some wildlife locations where I’m walking about I will just leave the camera attach to the tripod as it’s quicker to set up as I move about. In those situations I just have to deal with the weight and awkwardness. It’s often why you see wildlife photographers with big lens attached to their tripod sling over their shoulder.

Yes I have seen that method to carry the complete setup but have not had the need/chance to try it (damm lockdown). As for removing the centre column mine is the newer 055 with the tilt column for low level shooting and the column is not meant to be removed and unless the tiny grub screw is tightened the gimbal can easily be unscrewed from the top of the legs by accident.

As you say it is the carrying on the walk to the shooting location & back again that is the issue. Carrying the tripod in my hands is no longer a solution so things do need to be 'hands free.

I have made a sling for just the tripod, a sling to carry it horizontal under the pack as per the image I posted and am trying to figure a meant to side mount it safely which I have about 80% complete, Just a couple of small changes needed and it will be finished. I will then have a choice of 3 methods to choose to suit the amount of kit I take on the day.

No but I would imagine that unless you can tuck all three legs intop the backpack loop, you'll end up with 2 of the legs opening and flapping about. It amuses me a 3LT tripod is shown in the promo image as that was the *worst* one I owned for flappy legs.

/QUOTE]

the 'bag sling' and the 'shoulder sling' are webbing with a 'lasso' affair on either end that will restrain all three legs to the rear and the gimbal to the front.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

As for removing the centre column mine is the newer 055 with the tilt column for low level shooting and the column is not meant to be removed and unless the tiny grub screw is tightened the gimbal can easily be unscrewed from the top of the legs by accident.

i think we are talking about different things. I’m not talking about the grub screw that keeps the head from unscrewing from the centre colours. Im talking about removing removing the centre column (with gimbal head still attached) from the legs.

If it’s anything like the previous model you should be able to get the centre column to this position, depress the red button on the bottom of the centre column then pull it through the red collar. That should remove the centre column from the legs.

1F0D45E5-AC7B-4C37-BDE9-AF5FA1A7A96C.jpeg

i think we are talking about different things. I’m not talking about the grub screw that keeps the head from unscrewing from the centre colours. Im talking about removing removing the centre column (with gimbal head still attached) from the legs.

If it’s anything like the previous model you should be able to get the centre column to this position, depress the red button on the bottom of the centre column then pull it through the red collar. That should remove the centre column from the legs.

It doesn't, the only way to get it out is to remove the circlip and if you are lucky you don't lose the small black piece. It is a fiddle trying to get the 4 pieces in correctly. I know, I did it before the lockdown and almost lost the small black bit :(

I've tried the back of the bag (where the tripod straps usually are) this only seems to work if you have a small very light tripod. What works for me is a modified camera strap on the tripod and then over the shoulder next to the bag. I usually then have another strap holding it to the side of the bag to stop it slipping off. That way the weight isn't on the bag itself, which I find unballances it a bit.
The camera strap has a paracord type loop at each end and they have those cordlocks things on them. Put the loop over the tripod head and slide lock tight, same at the feet end and your good to go. Take a few seconds to attach and remove.

I've tried the back of the bag (where the tripod straps usually are) this only seems to work if you have a small very light tripod. What works for me is a modified camera strap on the tripod and then over the shoulder next to the bag. I usually then have another strap holding it to the side of the bag to stop it slipping off. That way the weight isn't on the bag itself, which I find unballances it a bit.
The camera strap has a paracord type loop at each end and they have those cordlocks things on them. Put the loop over the tripod head and slide lock tight, same at the feet end and your good to go. Take a few seconds to attach and remove.

Tried over the shoulder next to the pack with a smaller tripod, didn't work for me but then I didn't strap it to the side to stop it sliding off. Will look in to that. Thanks

Last edited:
@rob-nikon I've been playing about with it and realised what I have been doing wrong. You are correct that it can be removed The way I was raising & folding the column I was hiding the little button you were talking about. Thanks, something else for me to think about now. Maybe with a piece on either side of the pack will work better.

@rob-nikon I've been playing about with it and realised what I have been doing wrong. You are correct that it can be removed The way I was raising & folding the column I was hiding the little button you were talking about. Thanks, something else for me to think about now. Maybe with a piece on either side of the pack will work better.
I'm glad I've been of help. I've always through manfrotto's design is quite nifty. Its quick to move the centre column to the horizontal position with the added knowledge there is a safety latch to ensure it doesn't accidentally come out completely, or depress the button the centre column splits away from the legs. It gives you another option to make carrying them easier.

Glad @rob-nikon was able to sort that out for you - I have the previous 055CXPro3, and have a spare short center column which my gimbal head is fixed to - so I knew swapping columns was easy on the older design, though do so before I go out, as I'll either want the gimbal or geared head (more often), but no both.

Glad @rob-nikon was able to sort that out for you - I have the previous 055CXPro3, and have a spare short center column which my gimbal head is fixed to - so I knew swapping columns was easy on the older design, though do so before I go out, as I'll either want the gimbal or geared head (more often), but no both.
I used to have the same set up (gimbal on the replacement short centre column and a ball head on the longer centre column). I modified the short centre column by taking a hacksaw to it! That made it possible to have the legs out fully and the tripod as close to ground level as possible.

@Faldrax and @rob-nikon. I had thought of cutting the centre column especially after getting the gimbal as it adds extra height and it would be unlikely I'd use it extended with the gimbal fitted. I like the idea of a spare fitted with a different head then I can choose to suit the occasion. Had a look on line & found where I can get one so it's on my wish list. Thanks both.

@Faldrax and @rob-nikon. I had thought of cutting the centre column especially after getting the gimbal as it adds extra height and it would be unlikely I'd use it extended with the gimbal fitted. I like the idea of a spare fitted with a different head then I can choose to suit the occasion. Had a look on line & found where I can get one so it's on my wish list. Thanks both.
I wouldn’t cut the centre column that came with the tripod as it’s carbon fibre. The short centre column that you can buy is aluminium so cutting it isn’t so bad.

I wouldn’t cut the centre column that came with the tripod as it’s carbon fibre. The short centre column that you can buy is aluminium so cutting it isn’t so bad.

That's why I didn't cut it. lol
I didn't realise you could buy spare columns, now I know I can I will aim to get one for the Gimbal head & use the original for a different head. Maybe get a second short one and cut it as short as possible to get as low as I can but not for a good while yet. It's highly unlikely I will use the tripod with the column extended but may use it horizontal at times, but you never know.

Cutting CF is easy. Use a fine-toothed hacksaw blade, do it outside, wear a good dust mask, and spray the area with water if you're at all concerned. I've done this with bicycle handlebars, seatposts and stuff, where I think you'd agree the need to provide structural integrity is a little more important than a tripod. A bit of superglue on the cut ends, if you're worried about delamination. But you really don't need to be. CF is just fibres squashed and glued together, really. The 'weave' you see on some CF products, is a cosmetic layer. What is really hazardous to health with CF, is the resin used in it's manufacture, not the carbon itself, which is inert (although a load of coal dust wouldn't do your lungs any good). Think of it like fancy MDF; using carbon fibres instead of sawdust.

Here's a bit more info:

https://www.dtc-uk.com/dust-extract...y-be-the-new-asbestos-we-looked-at-the-facts/

But seriously; treat CF the same as you would something like MDF, and you'll be fine.

Back