How to clean your dusty lens

S

Ste1976

Ok i bought a 2nd hand 28-135mm IS USM that was suffering with abit of dust inside the lens didn't effect it in anyways it just bug the hell out of me, so instead of splashing out money to get it cleaned, I decided to clean the inside of the lens myself.:wacky::D

Anyways here 3 pictures on how i did it taken with K800i

First up here the lens itself you can't see the dust but trust me it there.

dsc00371copycf1.jpg

Next up was to get a small watch makers screwdriver and to stick it lightly into the slot mark with an arrow then begin to lift making sure not to slip & scratch the lens, the rubber ring comes away easily but make sure not to touch the sticky stuff underneath.

Here a pic of the rubber lens ring removed, next thing to do it unscrew the 3 screws that are marked with an arrow now these on mine were glued in so took abit of effort with the screwdriver to loosen them but did manage it.

dsc00372copygn0.jpg

Now once you removed the screws lift your lens up and give it a little shake and you find the top glass pops out easily

Make sure thou not to touch either the underneath of the glass or anything inside with your fingers otherwise your going to do more cleaning that needed, anyways once lens glass is removed get a air blower like a rocket or something & a lens brush & clean away I used a lint free cloth

dsc00373copyum4.jpg

Once cleaning done make sure no dust got back in and put your lens glass back in carefully and screw back up replace the lens rubber you lens now is dust free & will be easier to clean next time should more dust get back in there.

OK hope this help some folk that are worried of doing it yourself to your 17-55mm 17-85mm 28-135mm basically any lens that prone to sucking in dust, it really easy to do and would save you a fortune in the end with no effects to the lens what so ever.

Please note thou if your lens is still under warranty then it best not to do it as it proberly void your warranty.

Back