How to control noise in long exposures?

C

Creo

Not sure which forum to post this in, so I have tried here, hope its suitable!

I am getting a lot of noise, mainly coloured artifacts, in my long exposures. These are generally 30 second exposures. I m using a Sony RX10 on F16 ISO 100 with Lee filters and a Manfrotto tripod. The images themselves are working out well, until I zoom in on them and its a mass of red and white artifacts. No amount of noise reduction post-processing seems to get rid of them. I have tried the Long Exposure Noise Reduction setting on the camera but all it seems to do is take another 30 seconds to make the exposure and do nothing to the image, the noise is the same.

So I am wondering if there is something I can do to control this noise, or whether its just a symptom of long exposures with a relatively small (1 inch) sensor.

Thanks.

In the RAW processing, did you use a luminance noise reduction slider or a color noise reduction one?
A sample photo can help, too.

I'm not using RAW as my camera isnt in the Adobe Camera Raw. But using jpegs in camera raw. I have tried both luminance and colour noise reduction. Sometimes I can reduce the colour noise using this but still left with white marks.

This is an example of the noise I am getting at 100%:
noise.jpg

I'm not using RAW as my camera isnt in the Adobe Camera Raw. But using jpegs in camera raw. I have tried both luminance and colour noise reduction. Sometimes I can reduce the colour noise using this but still left with white marks.

This is an example of the noise I am getting at 100%:
noise.jpg
What camera exactly is that?

Is there a long exposure NR option on the camera? Nikon will take a second blank exposure the same length as the first and automatically extrapolate dead/hot pixels.

I had tried Long Exposure NR and it hadnt made any difference, so left it of to save time on the long exposures.
Just did some tests with it on and it has resolved most of the Hot pixels.
I can only think that when I tested it I hadnt actually turned it on in the menu correctly.
So problem appears solved! Thank you.

Back