Tutorial How to crop/rotate/resize your images ready for printing using Photoshop

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
admirable submitted a new resource:

How to crop/rotate/resize your images ready for printing using Photoshop - crop, resize, print

I am using CS5 here but other versions will be very similar. I am going to take this sample image and crop out the lamppost on the right and resize it for a 5”x4” print, this also applies to 6”x4”, 7”x5”, 10”x8” etc.

dItAIEG.jpg

Select the crop tool (1), click on the drop down menu (2) and select the print size required or manually enter the size in the boxes. Make sure the resolution (3) is set to 300 pixels/inch.

Vgu7h18.jpg

With...

Read more about this resource...

Great article but its much easier to crop and rotate in Lightroom

But this is cropping, rotating, and also sizing the image precisely at a given print resolution for totally print ready files.

Personally I leave sizing to last and do it manually in Photoshop so I can choose which resampling method to use, as depending on whether you need to resize upwards or downwards for your print size, the re-sampling method makes a noticeable difference. Both the above method, and Lightroom do not allow you to do this.

View attachment 38384

lighroom does all of that. have a play or google,it does it .

@Business Shot Master As part of the export process though surely. The crop tool doesn't have any option to actually resize the image's pixel or print resolution, so that's 2 stages required as opposed to Photoshop's one. I can see no option to set re-sampling methods in either the crop options, or in the export options. I have sharpening settings for various media... but that's all. I'm more than prepared to accept I'm missing something, but damned if I can find it. Where can I set the re-sampling method, pixel resolution and print resolution in the crop tool? In fact, where do I set the resampling method in the export dialogue?

Last edited:
Thanks for that, every little helps when learning to use photoshop.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a similar tutorial for Lightroom?

Back