HOW to get accreditation

..MD..

Helen Shapiro
Name
MonkeyDave
Edit My Images
Yes
:thinking:ok im sure this has been asked before but .
i must have missed it .
does anyone know how to go about doing this do you have to be to a certain standard .use a certain standard of kit.
work for a company.
could joe bloggs " like myself get one of these or is it a long way away.. :shrug:

thanks for looking ..(y)

dave

:LOL: sorry mate typing is slower than the brain

i would like to try and get trackside at places like oulton park. mallory park snetterton . rockingham . hope this helps mate

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation, you have to send off for accreditation with at least 3-4 images that you have had published in the last 12 months etc.

Contact the press officer, give them you details etc. I did this for an International Athletics event held localy and they gave me accreditation no problem, I gusse a lot will depend on the size of the event and it's popularity, but if you don't ask you wont get.
Good luck with it.

Wouldn't we all Dave..:LOL:

not half :LOL:
It's a bit of a catch 22 situation, you have to send off for accreditation with at least 3-4 images that you have had published in the last 12 months etc.
dam only show my pics on the net in a few places..:shake:
when you say published :thinking: what sort of papers or magazines would that have to be ..i might send a couple of shots .. you never know..
Contact the press officer, give them you details etc. I did this for an International Athletics event held localy and they gave me accreditation no problem, I gusse a lot will depend on the size of the event and it's popularity, but if you don't ask you wont get.
Good luck with it.
:bonk: sent a email to rockingham got one back saying without a media pass/ accreditation / i could only go behind the fence ..
nicely written though(y)

It will very much depend on the event you want to get trackside on. Different organisations have different criteria. The normal minimum is a letter from an editor or picture editor of the publication you'll be representing. Others will need you to have been published a certain amount of times within the last year. It can be hard work and you will get a lot of knockbacks but if you get that pic no one else gets you could get lucky by approaching a publication and getting them to buy. There's a very good thread here http://www.motorbikeracer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=480&highlight=accreditation on a board frequented by the pros in the motorcycle world.

In the world of rallying in Ireland/N.Ireland you generally need to be attached to a publication and have letters to prove this (each publication only allowed 2 or 3 photographers) and proof of at least 2 or 3 printed photos in large publications within the last 6 months.

Off the top of my head you are supposed to have 5 million liability insurance too as by signing on you are essentially saying that you cover yourself with your own insurance and not any of the clubs, hence them letting you closer to the track.

I know quite a few professionals that get declined for accredation over here and you also always see how the system falls down and people who have the right friends wearing media bibs and using p&s's.

thanks very much folks :clap: all taken on board

Just to add my bit:
You dont need the insurance for most events (unless its a track day or something)

basically, this is how you do it:
go to the website of the series you want to cover, look at the home towns of the drivers or teams. contact their local newspaper and ask if you can cover the event for them. if you can also write the article too then you have an even better chance.
to be honest, equipment and experience means very little. A journalist with a £50 camera working for a local paper will stand more chance than someone with £10k of lenses and his own website. So long as you have a decent publication (and not a website) writing you a letter of accreditation then you are sorted.

You then need to get a copy of the official media application form and fax it together with the letter from the newspaper to the press officer at the circuit you are attending.

and thats about the size of it

Don't know if this helps.. but I do a lot of nightclub photography, which can involve climbing steps that feel rather unsteady and being on a stage that feels a bit the same.

Not once has insurance been mentioned, and the way I've got into the clubs to do their pics (along with others) is by contacting promoters directly, and emailing them some of my top shots, as well as a brief description of the kind of shots I get.

Back