Beginner How to get started in Post Processing

Edit My Images
No
I currently edit my photos as JPEGs in Picasa. This editing is pretty basic - I generally crop and make some basic adjustments to the histogram to get better contrast/brightness.

I know that there is a whole new world out there for post processing but I really don't know where to get started.
Particularly there are a lot of recommendations for moving from JPEGs to RAW files.
I am unfamiliar with both the choice of software (Adobe Lightroom, Elements, Photoshop, a non-adobe product??) and once I have the software, where I should start with it.
There are lots of terms I see mentioned on the forums such as levels, work-flow, layers, etc. that do not mean much to me. I understand a histogram but that is pretty much it.

I am happy to purchase software (Elements?) and some decent references.
However, from past experience of looking at these I would feel more comfortable if there was some sort of beginners guide/tutorial to get me started.
Can anyone recommend a resource on the web or a book that is aimed at getting the beginner up and running?

It completely depends on what you are trying to achieve with the edit. What do you want the final image to be? Are you just trying to bring the best out of the image or are you wanting have a big creative input?

RAW is definitely the way to go if you edit your own photos.

Ive always found youtube to be a great source of information/tutorials.

As Nikon_Nick puts it I am more looking at bringing out the best of an image rather than having significant creative input.

My editing seems to be limited to the following:

Brightness and colour
Cropping and straightening
Spot fixing and red-eye correction

I would really like to get more control over the brightness and colour - especially when the white balance is off or when I want to give the image more "pop". This is where I am hitting the limits with Picasa.
(I may possibly be interested in changes such as background blurring to get more subject isolation or adding a graduated filter to an image.)

I have no interest in photo editing in terms of combining multiple photos into a panorama, HDR multiple shot merging, cloning out parts of a picture, moving one part of a picture within the overall photo, adding my own drawing or words to the photo, making photo puzzles or scrapbooks or cards, etc.

Last edited:
In that case id probably advise trying out a few different editing packages before deciding to possibly buy one. You can download 'Gimp' which is completely free and is quite similar to Photoshop, and you can also do some free 30 day trials on the Adobe website on their latest offerings.

As I mentioned previously, you will find plently of free tutorials around the web.

Spot fixing and red-eye correction
Not really what you asked, but if you're getting red eyes, you're not trying had enough. I'd suggest 'the speedlighters handbook' by Syl Arena.

And for PP, I don't know what camera you have, but Canon ship decent enough software with their cameras for your needs.

The fundamental mistake I see people make, is that they go looking for tools before they're clear what they're trying to accomplish. This is a sure path to frustration.

Once you know what it is you want from a photograph, you can then pursue how to get it out, and it'll also make searching on Youtube for tutorials a LOT easier.

Lynda.com have a lot of training resources, so does Kelby Online, as well as Phlearn (Though Phlearn is more geared toward people who have already got the basics of photoshop under their belt)

You could always seek out a tutor if you prefer to learn that way, too. If you're in the Midlands, just drop me a line.

Simples.

Don't mess about, just get Lightroom - it's the best and easiest program by miles. And a book - suggest Scott Kelby. Then just dive in, the water's lovely :)

You can download a free 30-days trial of LR, and most people find the basic stuff quite intuitive, but if you're not confident the book will be a great help in getting you off on the right foot. And you'll need it anyway to get the most from LR as your skills advance.

What no one tells you here is that you need a 64 bit system for most of the Lightroom/adobe or similar top end stuff to run. (not gimp)

I've done two 30 day trials of lightroom now, I just can't get on with it. I'd advise a trial of whatever before you throw money at it.

I was about to purchase Aperture when Apple announced its demise. So have now downloaded a trial of LR, but like you, so far, I am unable to get on with it.

my OH got for me the Scott Kelby Book, the Adobe Photoshop CS6 book for digital Photographers.
taught me more in 1 month with that book than a year watching online youtube vids and tutorials. simply because having a reference in print in front of me made it so much easier to understand and work through the steps to see what they actually did.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photoshop-Digital-Photographers-Voices-Matter/dp/0321823745
even if you dont have CS6 most of the stuff inside just as easily applies to cs4 or 5 and alot of it covers using ACR and sticks purely to the photo Post processing side of photoshop without getting buried in all the other features and functions.
a definite worthwhile purchase if you plan on using ACR and photoshop

Thanks for the advice. I have tried GIMP - initially it doesn't look too intuitive for a beginner - although it looks quite similar to Photoshop in many aspects.

I should have also mentioned that ideally I would like the software to catalogue my photos like Picasa does.

I think that I will start with a Lightroom trial download and the Scott Kelby book and see how I go on from there.

try adobe elements 12 first. its only £30 to buy and you can get the trial. i think you'll find it much more suited for you and do all you need to do , plus its a standalone so doesnt require the subscription of adobe CC. add in you can use adobe camera raw with it ( a must have essential FREE add on.. and also it supports plugins like the nik efex range. it also has a built in organizer when you open it ( like a cut down Lighroom ) as well as the photo editor..

Lightroom is essentially a "Digital Darkroom", helping you develop the image. Photoshop allows you to manipulate that image to give a different result. They are getting closer together, but they both fundamentally do different jobs.

I have downloaded a trial of Lightroom and started watching some tutorial videos. I have not used it in anger yet but so far it seems to offer everything that I want. So far I don't think that i will need any of the image manipulation tools of Photoshop or Elements.

try adobe elements 12 first. its only £30 to buy and you can get the trial. i think you'll find it much more suited for you and do all you need to do , plus its a standalone so doesnt require the subscription of adobe CC. add in you can use adobe camera raw with it ( a must have essential FREE add on.. and also it supports plugins like the nik efex range. it also has a built in organizer when you open it ( like a cut down Lighroom ) as well as the photo editor..
Where can I get Elements 12 for £30 - it is £50 on Amazon.

I am happy to pay for software if it does what I need even if there are freeware options available. The massive amount of Adobe Elements/Lightroom on-line tutorials is a big draw to me.
I have tried GIMP but found that not to be very intuitive.

Back