How to improve

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Took this today, the idea was the sunlight coming through the trees and falling on the leaves etc.
I think its a bit flat, and maybe a bit overexposed ?
What helps in siuations when you have harsh light ?

click for bigger sizes.

to be honest, the subject of just the base of some trees isn't that inspiring

perhaps you need a wider shot, looking up through the trees, you may get more of the effect of the light shining through them. Right idea about the harsh light though. Two exposures, one for the trees and one for the light and blend in photoshop or similar.

to be honest, the subject of just the base of some trees isn't that inspiring

Sorry I disagree with Walls it could be inspiring, (each to our own) I can see what you wanted to do show the light beams coming through the branches, and streaming onto the ground, and flare from the sun, did you have a filter on, that may have reduced the effect,
I think I would shoot in raw and then make 3 exposures saved as tiffs then blended together

Last edited:
walls: The problem is its only a small area, those trees are probably 20/30 feet deep, at the top of the ridge is actually a road, the trees in the background are on the other side of the road!

Dave: I had a CPL on. As you guessed this is straight from the camera, I havent got in to the whole post processing thing yet, looks like I need to!

Dave gives good advice. Even if you don't go the three shots route, with some general post processing you can likely really punch up this shot with some increased contrast and extended dynamic range. I like the basic photo...and you've got a good eye and idea, here.

Just a little update.
Sawman PM'd me after doing a little post processing of the above, this is more along the lines of how I had the picture in my head. This is far from ideal as he only had a reduced image to work from, but its far better than the above. I certainly appreciate his efforts, its taught me I can't do everything from behind the camera and that I need to look in to post processing as I';ve been pretty ignorant of it so far!

Thanks to Sawman for his efforts and time (y)

3075494354_df41de4514_b.jpg

No problem. That woodland is sore in need of some tlc too!;)

The edit has nicely brought out the richness in the woodland colours

Back