How to replicate this style - dog photography

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm quite taken by this black background style of lighting and would like to have a go myself https://www.andybiggar.com/DogPhotographer-Portfolio/Black-Is-The-New-Black/i-gDbQ2N4

I have a few questions please:

1) Is this the standard method of turning a background black i.e. underexposing the ambient and then lighting with flash without spilling on to the background.
2) There is something about the lighting I can't quite work out it seems soft but at the same time is bringing the texture out in the fur
3) Could I replicate this using standard speedlites off camera or would I need more power

Any advice much appreciated

1) No. The standard way of turning a background black is to have a black background.

2) Large softbox mounted overhead front of the subject on a boom. Shot with a telephoto and a medium aperture, say a 135mm at roughly f/4-5.6

3) Yes if your softbox is large enough

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is an element of post processing involved rather than lighting with flashes. Looking at the reflections in the eyes, there doesn’t seem to be any signs of flash and it looks like it’s taken outside rather in a studio.

I made a black background photo with some exposure and brush adjustments in lightroom rather than using flashes.
Bald Eagle 2 by -Rob'81-

A friend of mine has done a series of images in this style.

https://www.georgewheelhouse.com/galleries/on-black

Last edited:
Hmmmm. I probably should have said, that's how I'd shoot it. I'd rather get it right in camera than faff about in post.

Hmmmm. I probably should have said, that's how I'd shoot it. I'd rather get it right in camera than faff about in post.
That’s definitely the way they should be taken but sometimes it’s not possible. The problem with wildlife is that it’s quite difficult/near impossible to set up controlled condition out in the ‘wild’. WhenI’ve tried it I’ve tried to get as close as I can with a shaded background and then tweak in post with brushes etc. It kind of gets the results but I definitely wouldn’t say it’s been done any other way (ie flash etc) and pass it off as what it isn’t.

That’s definitely the way they should be taken but sometimes it’s not possible. The problem with wildlife is that it’s quite difficult/near impossible to set up controlled condition out in the ‘wild’. WhenI’ve tried it I’ve tried to get as close as I can with a shaded background and then tweak in post with brushes etc. It kind of gets the results but I definitely wouldn’t say it’s been done any other way (ie flash etc) and pass it off as what it isn’t.

Yup but we are talking about dogs here!

A lot of those look to be what I would call "doorway pictures"... it's basically the opposite of a silhouette in front of a window.
There's also a good bit of editing IMO... dodge/burn using luminance masks.

Last edited:
Outside or in a doorway/conservatory with a black background. In the beagle (at least I think it is a beagle) shot you can see the blue sky reflected in the dog's eyes. In the b&w half face shot you can see the reflection of the 'tog.

@sk66 beat me to it :)

Thanks everyone for your input. Having looked at the website again following your comments I can see there are a number of doorway shots on there.

Now off to read up on luminance masks [emoji3]

Contact him and ask him? :)

or better still buy his training video or attend one of his one to one training courses..:D
When you all say doorway photos what is meant by this? Is it because the subject is slightly forward of the doorway in the light whilst the area behind the doorway is in shade?

Yes..the barn is probably pitch black in the background or near enough..

Yes..the barn is probably pitch black in the background or near enough..
Ahhh that makes sense. Seems that I’ve been using that technique without knowing what it’s called!

Tha Bald Eagle image I posted above was that technique. The aviary was half covered half open. The eagle was in the open front whilst the covered rear was in dark shade. A bit of exposure compensation in camera and some selective exposure brushes gave the black background look.

I would definitely advise against trying to do this in post. Fur and hair are extremely difficult to cut out convincingly and you'll (probably) end up with a halo effect.

Don't get me wrong, it is do-able, but unless you're very comfortable with Photoshop and creating masks using channels, then I'd say you're going to spend hours and hours producing something which you will not be happy with.

A few years ago, I attended a course with a professional photographer on how to use his studio among other things. I recall that we normally used a mid grey background. The background is lit separately to the subject and could be set from Black right through to white dependent on the lighting strength. In a studio, there is no problem, with the subject being well space from the background which helps.

Dave

Loadsa post work. Just copy one in to PS & ramp the exposure up to see the artefacts.

It would be simple to achieve this using a single softbox and black background. It'd be fairly simple to achieve it - except for the lying-down-shots- with a single softbox and grey background.

A few years ago, I attended a course with a professional photographer on how to use his studio among other things. I recall that we normally used a mid grey background. The background is lit separately to the subject and could be set from Black right through to white dependent on the lighting strength. In a studio, there is no problem, with the subject being well space from the background which helps.

Dave

This is often trotted out and I once fell for it. Experts forget to mention that it doesn't work for full length - or in this case - dogs lying down. It's pretty much impossible to separately light the dog and the floor adjacent to the dog.

I enjoy taking Dog portraits and came across Andy Biggar.com some time last year. I have only taken portraits with my speedlights. So Andy's site was a revelation mostly shot natural light. I have seen a few video clips here and there like the one linked too above. Off course there is some post work but imo and having listened to a podcast where he explains how some of the photos were taken
the bulk of that look is from when he captured the image.

Gaz

Last edited:
I came across this thread yesterday - quite a few dog shots in it.

Here is my take the shot of the eagle has been exposed for the whites. That is causing the dark background

Back