How to shoot group portrait with small light kit?

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been asked to photograph 11 grandkids as pressie for Grandma.

This will be indoors, at night, (only time we can get them altogether). I have Interfit 150 kit (2 heads, brolly & softbox) and 400D with 50mm f1.8 lens.

I would appreciate any tips for composition and lighting set up from anyone who has done something similar.

Hmmm... A tall order that one... reflectors maybe? Or howabout taking them as smaller groups and stitching them together afterwards?

imho...... dont bother trying to get all there bodies in the shot ..

aim for head shots so get them all as close as possible.. then get them abit closer..

...:shrug: 4 sitting on the floor 4 knelling and the last few standing....

whatever you decide good luck..

if you get them all close enough you should be ok with the lighting

close close close

md:naughty:

Some good points above

Ideally, you need a large soft light source too - so rather than bounce through (or off) a brolly, turn your light(s) around and bounce off the wall & ceiling behind and to one side of you

To increase the area of correct exposure, up your ISO to at least 400 and shoot no higher than f8

HTH

DD

A few quick pointers.

Your 50 1.8 will probably be too long. Use the 18-55 at 30mm if you can. Any wider and you may get some perspective distortion which can look unattractive in portraits. The 18-55 will be nice and sharp at the apertures you are going to use it at.

Go for f8/f11 to ensure you have enough depth of field.

Don't be afraid to use ISO 400 or 800 if need be.

Watch out for reflections from the lights in windows and glass frames. Draw the curtains if you need to.

Set WB to flash and switch off or dim the room lights when taking the pictures. If you have to have the room lights on then gel the flashes to match the lights and use the appropriate WB.

Light fall off in small rooms for group shots is always a problem. The trick is to make the light source seem further away than the room would usually allow. To do this use a bare flash positioned at head height next to the group but pointing away from the group into the junction of the ceiling and wall they are facing. Move the strobe closer towards you if you have a problem with the light in the lens. A light either side of the group positioned this way will give very even and consistent lighting.

Edit: just realised DD said basically the same thing but in fewer words :)

..and....... take lots and lots of shots . . . and then take a few more!

Some really useful tips here - thanks guys.

I think I will study them and take notes - that way I wont forget them when under pressure (this coming Sunday).

Thanks again.

Back