How to stop people right clicking..

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Whilst doing some research on layouts and how other sites ensure their content is secure I noticed that some sites restrict you from right clicking the mouse on photo's. This seems like quite a good first level of protection for you work.

Does anyone know how I can achieve this using a Flash web site? :)

Thanks Matt

Oh I know anyone serious about stealing your work will get it one way or another... A friend of mine got some pictures off of a wedding toggers site who took pictures at his sisters wedding. that had the no right click function. he just got some program off the internet that allows him to grab any picture from sites. His argument was he would never have brought the pictures as they were to expensive and he didnt tell everyone so he wasnt stopping any sales of the pictures..

If its a flash website, then the right click is pretty much redundant anyway? :shrug:

Aye, you're right Marcel. But if you use Safari you can get around it depending on how the Flash site works. If the flash site loads images remotely you can view the Activity window in Safari while the flash site loads,... you'll be able to see the urls for all the image files being loaded into the browser. This is a great trick if you want to rip streaming movie sites ( ;) ) *cough* If the images are in the flash file, then you'll need to reverse engineer the site in order to extract the library items.

Oh I know anyone serious about stealing your work will get it one way or another... A friend of mine got some pictures off of a wedding toggers site who took pictures at his sisters wedding. that had the no right click function. he just got some program off the internet that allows him to grab any picture from sites. His argument was he would never have brought the pictures as they were to expensive and he didnt tell everyone so he wasnt stopping any sales of the pictures..

you dont need a program ... every picture you view on the internet has to be downloaded to your computer in order for you to view them... all you need to do is look in your cache folder

you dont need a program ... every picture you view on the internet has to be downloaded to your computer in order for you to view them... all you need to do is look in your cache folder

That depends, some people have a no-cache tag in their html to stop the site files being cached.

Not knowing how to use code to build a site I used this company so i could still build my site myself but wouldn't have to worry about code: http://www.webeden.co.uk/index.htm Now i'm unsure if I can even add code if I wanted too.

Basically all a person has to do is press print screen and post into a something like photoshop or even paint then paste crop and save it's as simple as that to take a copy of an image you like right click can’t prevent things like that

As I mentioned earlier I know there are ways and means of doing it unauthorised but the majority of people who just surf the net are not going to know this. I only ever expected it to be a visual reminder and or a slight deterrent.

With reference to post #8 does anyone know if it is even possible on this type of site??

I wouldn't waste my time annoying your audience with it. Put it this way, there are better photographers out there than anyone on TP who don't do this. Accept the net for what it is and treat your audience with a bit of respect.

and sometimes on firefox it gives you the warning but still lets you do it

I wouldn't waste my time annoying your audience with it. Put it this way, there are better photographers out there than anyone on TP who don't do this. Accept the net for what it is and treat your audience with a bit of respect.

I agree with this.

His argument was he would never have brought the pictures as they were to expensive and he didnt tell everyone so he wasnt stopping any sales of the pictures..

Wow, that's quite the argument. Does it work for expensive bottles of booze in the offy? :LOL:

I know! If only it did....there is no point arguing with him though he's just one of those people who thinks he's always right.

I thought about the no right-click protection, and then remembered how much it annoys me on other sites:)

I use hotlink protection these days - if somebody tries to post a photo from my server (using the image URL) to a site not on my whitelist, what they'll actually get is this:

leechedjm8.jpg

Stops them using my bandwidth at least.

(If you have to ask, just don't!)

Can't really stop someone if they REALLY wanted to, like others have said, if someone knows enough about IT they can get it regardless its hacking the site to a simple print screen.

Just don't put ultra high res on it so they can't print it, add a vague watermark (I actually have a 5% transparency one on mine) and that should stop the passers by who right click. And most people who can't do it by right click gives up anyway, the rest you can't stop no matter how hard you want to try.

I thought about the no right-click protection, and then remembered how much it annoys me on other sites:)

I use hotlink protection these days - if somebody tries to post a photo from my server (using the image URL) to a site not on my whitelist, what they'll actually get is this:

leechedjm8.jpg

Stops them using my bandwidth at least.

(If you have to ask, just don't!)

You should change it to the goatse image. That works better.

Disabling the right-click is just annoying for the end-user. And assuming you're only showcasing images at web size (like, 800px wide) and web quality, who really cares who steals it? They're not going to be able to do much with it!

And as people have said, there's about a million ways around it anyway!

Another thing to consider is that people might want to access the context menu for purposes other than to save or copy an image. Therefore, disabling the menu could impact on accessibility.

A different method (which still ultimately provides no protection) is to float a transparent image over the image you want to protect using CSS. That way, right-click still works and brings up the context menu, but the image that's saved will be the transparent one.

Oh, and Google is your friend sometimes (y)

Thanks for your comments guys...but in the original post I did state I knew there was no ultimate way of protecting your images it was just a little visual deterrent to some people...

I have now come to agree with some of the above posts regarding how annoying I find it when I encounter such things so have decided thanks to you guys that I will not use it.

Oh and Digital Relish that google is your friend link is just classic....you spend so much time in here reading and asking Q its easy to forget how simply you would normally search for something...

I will try the transparent overlay method though as it will be interesting to learn this for future reference.

Back