Beginner How to use off camera flash-Nikon

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive just purchased a Neewer 565EX flash and FC-16 trigger/receiver. Can anyone point me in the right direction on any resources that will teach me how to use off camera flash?
I have no idea how to use these and how to set the whole thing up. TIA.

Ive just purchased a Neewer 565EX flash and FC-16 trigger/receiver.
Why?
I have no idea how to use these and how to set the whole thing up. TIA.
What is it you’re trying to achieve?

Nowadays I’d have sprung for a TTL trigger system, not necessarily for the TTL option, but just for the remote control of power, it’s not a dealbreaker, but for the £s it’s got to be worth it.

OK, Lets assume you know nowt.

To use flash as the primary light source, stick your camera on manual, remember your meter doesn’t know what the flash output will be and will just give you a reading for the ambient.

Decide whether you want any of the ambient and how much. Set your camera for that, remembering to keep your shutter speed below the x sync speed (it’s in your camera manual)

Remember only the aperture and ISO affect your flash exposure (from the camera) the 3rd variable is flash power setting, the 4th is flash to subject distance.

If you only really want to use flash, start with ISO200, 1/125, F5.6 and a quarter power, shoot, chimp, adjust, chimp etc.

Strobist is a great resource

http://strobist.blogspot.com/?m=1

You could also look up Gavin Hoey on YouTube and take a look at his take and make series. To be honest I would have looked a bit more before purchasing. Though probably very cheap you'll face some obstacles every time you use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil covered it all basically. To get you up and running. Once you get your head around shooting in manual at your camera's flash sync speed, with aperture, ISO and flash power your exposure variables you're sorted. Then you can also start thinking about longer shutter speeds to mix in ambient light. Have a tinker and see what you can do.

Thanks guys. Im just trying to learn the basics. How to sync the camera and flash and how I can use the flash to improve my photography.

Thanks guys. Im just trying to learn the basics. How to sync the camera and flash and how I can use the flash to improve my photography.

The main things to understand are the inverse square law - as you double the distance from light to subject it 's intensity drops by a factor of 4 as it's lighting more area - and shutter speed will not alter the flash brightness it just has to be slower than your sync speed.
If combining flash & ambient shutterspeed & flash power will control the ratio of the two sources.
Aperture, distance & flash power will control the brightness of the flash portions.
Flash distance & modifiers (umbrellas, soft boxes etc.) will alter the nature of the flash light - harsh/contrasty to soft...

With a single flash it doesn't take long to get suitable settings just by trial & error. Things get more complicated as you add more lights but trial & error still works pretty quickly I've never needed my flash meter.

Back