Hoya Pro1 v HD

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Having just bought my first L glass, I want to continue its mollycoddled life by fitting a filter. I appreciate the downsides regarding IQ but when my images are good enough to worry about fine tuning like that I will reconsider :)

Anyway, the HD range as far as I can tell relates to the glass being stronger than the Pro1 rather than improved optics, can anyone confirm the difference?
Also looking for any advice on type (UV/skylight etc) and your preferred brands.

Probably going to buy a 77mm Pro1 UV, but thought I would ask around first. My main use for this lens will be motorsport and wildlife.

Thanks
Chris

I use a Hoya Pro1 UV filter. Not sure about the differences between a HD and a Pro1 filter, although I've always thought that the Pro1 was the top of the range? Could be wrong though. A lot of people on here will probably tell you that a UV filter is useless, although I use one for motorsport as the last thing I want is stray rocks or bits of tyre rubber flying about and hitting the front element of the lens, and a filter is much easier to take off and clean.

Anyone have any thoughts on Canon's own?

Hoya : Pro1 thinner (for wide angles) vs HD stronger - both are top quality filters types and thougherly recommended. When it comes to filters, you do basically get what you pay for - cheap filters make your pictures look like mush.

Regarding protecting your lens against mechanical injuries from flying whatevers, a Hood will do a much better job most of the time and improve your pictures instead of degrading them!

UV - pointless, your digital camera already has one in front of the sensor. Your lens has coatings against flare.

a CPL is a useful filter, but you do need to fiddle with them a lot and can be a bit situational (and knock a stop or two off, which can be a good thing when its sunny!), but generally really help improve outdoor shots with sky in.

I see what you mean about UV being pointless but I thought that was the filter of choice to be used as a protector?

I see what you mean about UV being pointless but I thought that was the filter of choice to be used as a protector?

You could also try using either a clear ND (Neutral density) or a NC (Neutral Colour) filter to protect the lens if UV isn't what you're after.

HD is top of Hoya's range. Apart from the tough glass etc, the coatings are better.

I thought the HD was above the Pro1 in the product range being tougher, thinner, letting more light through, which seem to be reflected in the price.

I'd just go with the HD protector.

Back