HP5 Processing

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Having not used film for about 20 years have had an urge to try once more and so have just purchased an OM-10 from eBay along with a few rolls of HP5.

So my next question is where can I get films processed and scanned onto disc at a reasonable price these days?

The Darkroom have processed some HP5 for me in the past, as always good quality and quick service, I always scan my own stuff so can't comment on that part of their service.

B&W processing tends to cost significantly more than colour (C-41) processing per roll, because it tends to be by hand or also because they process far fewer true B&W film than regular colour film.

That's all I can add to this I'm afraid - I've only ever developed B&W at home.

I've had HP5 processed at Club 35 and I was suitably impressed, not used anyone else for that particular film type but I belive that Peak Imaging are excellent with all b&w films.

Andy

I've also heard good reports of Ilford's own service, not cheap though.

I have not used my roll of HP5 yet but I have shot XP2 and several colour rolls (pushed and non pushed) and Peak Imaging impress every time. Expensive, and a bit daunting that you have to post your film away but I don't see why they'd struggle to process HP5 properly - they're a pro lab.

Did see this thread but was really after first hand experience from people who have had HP5 processed.

I had my first (and so far only recent) roll of HP5 done at Club 35. It looks OK, but I've not a lot to compare it with; I suspect the deficiencies are (a) me (b) the camera (Trip 35) needing new light seals and (c) no filter. B and c are now fixed but I can't do a lot about (a). :shrug:

Club 35 did a roll of Superia at the same time, and their scans showed some apparent scratches across a few frames. They've sent me a replacement film to help check if the Pentax ME has something scratching inside. I thought that was pretty good.

Club 35 did a roll of Superia at the same time, and their scans showed some apparent scratches across a few frames. They've sent me a replacement film to help check if the Pentax ME has something scratching inside. I thought that was pretty good.

Unfortunately with scratches, a lot of the time its a tiny piece of grit or something getting caught in the felt light trap of the film canister so as the film advances it gets scratched. Its something that you can't really predict. I've used Club 35 for about 30 films over the past 2 years and never had a problem with them and as said above their customer service is excellent.

Back