Huge wedding dilemma

Edit My Images
No
Okay. In my 12 years of shooting this has never happened. I took 2000 pics and it turned out great. However, my computer crashed right after downloading all the pics. I was able to save 1000 images but list all of the ones of the ceremony. I feel horrible. This gas never happened. I don't know how to tell the B & G. The contract signed does state that no picture is a guarantee but I would hate to have to use that. Any ideas? I cried when this happened and have sent my computer out to see if it could be found.

I hate to ask, but did you wipe the cards before you'd made a backup?. It seems to me your best chance is to use a data recovery company.

As for relying on your contract, it seems to me that as a gesture of goodwill, if you can't get the pictures recovered, then not using the wording of the contract, fessing up maybe offering a refund atleast is thw way forwards.

As someone who has been doing weddings for 12 years, I'm astonished that you did not have a more robust backup plan in place.

Assuming you have not written further material to the hard drive, it is quite possible that you could still recover a large percentage of these photos, using off the shelf recovery software.

Another choice is to remove the hard drive and have the data recovered professionally, but this could be quite expensive.

If all else fails, work with the 1000 photographs, explain the situation to the B&G and offer to provide the remaining photos free of charge.

You downloaded the images and then immediately wiped your memory cards?? Before backing up again?

You downloaded the images and then immediately wiped your memory cards?? Before backing up again?

That wouldn't matter if nothing has been taken on the memory cards since, most data recovery software will get all of the images back. Although being 12 years in the industry its just common sense to backup while downloading. Lightroom for instance has this feature.

Not much help to you now but, I ALWAYS copy files to two hard drives (one external), and make another backup onto DVD, before even thinking about deleting the data from cards.

It may be possible to recover the images from the memory cards if they haven't been re-used but, as said before, can be quite expensive.

If all fails, I second the suggestion to offer the images you have free of charge or, at a greatly reduced price.

If you haven't reused the meory cards since shooting the wedding, then basic recovery software, such as that supplied by San Disk, should recover the images, at relatively little cost. Even if you have used the cards since, there is a reasonable chance that the recovery software will recover a goos number of them.

But, as has already been said, have two backups of your images, in addition to the files you're working on, before formatting your cards.

And one other important point, when you transfer your images from your cards to your PC, always copy them and never 'cut & patse'. That is also another potential disaster waiting to happen.

Just goes to show the importance of back up storage, it just isn't worth the risk and additional rectification work/stress to be without additional drives for very little outlay. Still we learn my our mistakes.

For this very reason I have 3 hard drives, one of which is stored off site and backed up monthly. Saves my arse a little should I have a house fire, as a worst case scenario.

I hope it works out for you.

What chphotos said regarding data recovery programs. As long as you haven't reused the card since, then you should be fine (hopefully).

If not, don't go into quoting contract. It is your responsibility to have made precautions against equipment failure. This is particularly bad given that you don't have any extensive backup procedure in place. You might be able to keep the money from this wedding by quoting contract, but your reputation will be pretty much worth nothing if you do that.
Instead, explain, apologise, and offer a refund that both parties can live with.

As for future preventions, I believe I don't need repeat what others have said about backing up.

Good luck

There is a program call 'get data back' which i found worked very well. However, it is going to cost you about £1000 for a data company to get it for you. Is the harddrive gone? can you pull HD from computer and put in another? However, if HD is blown the data people will have to take spinning disks out and build into new drive case.

There is a program call 'get data back' which i found worked very well. However, it is going to cost you about £1000 for a data company to get it for you. Is the harddrive gone? can you pull HD from computer and put in another? However, if HD is blown the data people will have to take spinning disks out and build into new drive case.

The £1000 fee is no longer the case. Many data recovery companies have realised that small businesses and home users do not want to lose their important data.

Many of the recovery companies are charging from the £100-£300 range with a no recover no fee promise.

Just Google data recovery, there are lots.

The £1000 fee is no longer the case. Many data recovery companies have realised that small businesses and home users do not want to lose their important data.

Many of the recovery companies are charging from the £100-£300 range with a no recover no fee promise.

Just Google data recovery, there are lots.

That is good news. Where was that deal 8 years ago :LOL:

Now, where are all my broken drives :D

Even at £1,000 IMHO it has to be done.

If you don't do it, then chances are your insurance company will want to follow that route as restaging the wedding will cost them a lot more than that.

You ARE insured aren't you...???

The contract signed does state that no picture is a guarantee

That maybe the case, but you cant use that as a defense if half the images are missing through your fault.

First try to recover from the cards, failing that send off the drive/drives...

Even as an ametuer i keep multiple backups of everything :/

That maybe the case, but you cant use that as a defense if half the images are missing through your fault.

Agree. If you have failed to deliver then no matter what your contract says simple wont make a difference.....

You have lost 1000 images and this is only the ceremony? Something does not add up here.
Is it only the ceremony that you have lost?

Last edited:
I've accidentally deleted my holiday pictures from my camera's memory card before...no biggie, just google "recover deleted files", download one of their softwares, which range from free to a few hundred pounds, and plug your camera to your computer once it's installed. They'll give you a step by step guide on how to retrieve lost files. Good luck!

I' not going to kick you for not backing up, as I guess yu'll kick yourself 3 times as much. Data recovery is your only real option here. If that doesn't work then be prepared to dig deep and offer a full refund plus the pics you've got. These things suck, but at some point something like this happens to anyone in business, whether through carelessness, poor preperation or good old fashioned bad luck. I had a card break on me once which had ceremony photos on, and was during the biggest wedding I'd ever shot PLUS it was the daughter of a colleague... I was lucky and was able to download the images but ever since then I've always used 2 gig cards and now shoot each stage of a wedding with two cameras simultaneously (Two cards of the same 'bit' of the wedding).

If you've lost the photo's its a b&tch but put it behind you and don't let it overshadow 12 years of hard work. Some B&G's are amicable, I certainly would have been had something happened at ours.

Like others say, If you've not shot on the cards since deleteing you should easliy be able to recover all of the images. You can do the same with images on your hard drive, provided they haven't been over written - if as you say, your computer simply "crashed" after downloading, the data sectors containing the images on the hard disk should still be mostly in tact - it's more likely that the "address" or "index" of the image files that's likely to have been lost, hence you not being able to see them.

I did a blog post a while back about recovering lost data: This piece of software has come in useful on many occasions now - it's free, too:

http://www.martynlewisphotography.com/blog/post.aspx?id=3ea743e3-5e80-453e-9193-dcdade78e670

With that software, I managed to recover every single one of my images from the day, that had accidentally been deleted. In the process, it also recovered much older photos that I'd long since deleted, of a wedding from the previous year: I'd been using the card regularly too, so it would seem that certain parts of the memory card hadn't been touched in months.

(Incidentally, i did the same on a large capacity card that a friend had borrowed for his holiday. Recovering some unrelated images a couple of months later, In file recovery mode, and not just "image recovery mode", it brought back all sorts of interesting "home videos" he and his Mrs had seemingly engaged in... Needless to say, i was discrete and professional about it. and he often buys me a pint or two, for my silence! I haven't looked at his innocent looking other half in the same way since! So just be careful what you recover for friends and family!)

I suspect that we're not being told the whole story here, and the OP seems to have disappeared so we may never know...

This doesn't really make sense, but what is the dilemma? The OP can either recover the images, or he can't; so it's either breach of contract or not.

Maybe he's popped out to see if he can get retrospective Professional Indemnity Insurance ?

I think the Bride and Groom must have hold of the OP due to the lack of response:bat:

As others have said recovering the original images from the cards is easy enough (provided they haven't been used since), I have recovered my neighbours pics 3 times in the last 12 months because she somehow managed to delete the lot (holiday snaps) got all bar about a half dozen back, and she'd used the card briefly.

ALWAYS make backups.ALWAYS make backups.ALWAYS make backups.ALWAYS make backups.ALWAYS make backups.ALWAYS make backups.ALWAYS make backups.

Wedding Workflow:

1 - copy memory cards to laptop
2 - keep memory cards with photographs on
3 - copy memory cards to portable HD
4 - keep memory cards with photographs on
5 - copy memory cards to networked drive / online storage / what ever - but make sure they are NOT stored in the same location as your portable HD, computer to memory cards

So you computer crashed - it could have been nicked as well. Same issue.

I never format memory cards until an hour before my next wedding and always have enough memory cards free for at least three weddings - around 100Gb of cards in my case.

Andrew Miller
http://www.andrew-miller.co.uk

I never keep images on cards once I have downloaded and checked. My process goes a bit like this;
download to PC... check... download to mac....check... download to portable hard drive... check. I also have every original raw I have ever taken.

Don't know why this thread has suddenly resurrected itself. Nothing further from the OP.

The OP did not actually mention that he deleted the pictures from the memory card. He could still have all his pictures in the card :)

Last edited:
I don't suppose we'll ever know, unless he comes back..................

Very strange though. I can't imagine why a professional, or a serious amateur, would delete/format memory cards with important images on them without a couple of confirmed backups. I'm a bit careless about backups but most of my shots don't matter at all - to anyone else anyway - and even I don't do this!

Well he has several chances

1. They could still be on the cards, an its worth running a recovery on them, even if the cards have been formatted
2. If the PC crashed, unless it was a HDD failure, he may be able to take the HDD from that machine and access it from another
3. If it is just windows that is stuffed, you may be able to read the drive and back up the folders to DVD using a LINUX disk
4. Data recovery companies can also recover data off of crashed hard drives

It's grovel and sweat in front of a geek time I think

What is interesting is that you state you have the first 1000 files. How did you get them back?

There's probably no truth in it, but I heard that the wedding was in New Jersey for a member of the Soprano's family.

Still.. I'm sure they're a forgiving bunch...

Nah, the photographer in question is an American woman and probably never visit here again. Google the username...

3 big mistakes:
1) fail to have a good backup routine,
2) log on to a forum to ask a question about recovering lost wedding photos using the name of your business.
3) having the tag line 'making your memories last a lifetime' :LOL:

Alternatively this is a competitor trying to ruin her business...

Back