Hurricane

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
forgive me please, I was having one of those moments, not quite sure what I was after... just happened - Any thoughts

thanks for looking

---------
Graham

Lovely shot but a little over vignetted for me. I appreciate it is probably for that aged/authentic for the time look but maybe a little less. Otherwise great and you don't see too many Hurricane images on here.

Looks suspiciously like North Weald. Peter Tiechman's smart new Hurribomber, per chance?

Yes it is...this photo was taken at their 70th anniversary reunion marking the end of the war. Amongst the quests were the surviving Vets of the Norwegian Air Force who made an emotional return to the airfield. - Excellent Day.

Lovely shot but a little over vignetted for me. I appreciate it is probably for that aged/authentic for the time look but maybe a little less. Otherwise great and you don't see too many Hurricane images on here.

Thank you Cowasaki appreciate your kind words. I do agree, it did end up a bit over-done with the Vignetting, I will tone it down. Now you mention it, you don't see too many Hurricans on here (shame) such a wonderful aircraft.
Hurricanes were based at North Weald during the War, and the film "Battle of Britain" was filmed there too.

Thank you Cowasaki appreciate your kind words. I do agree, it did end up a bit over-done with the Vignetting, I will tone it down. Now you mention it, you don't see too many Hurricans on here (shame) such a wonderful aircraft.
Hurricanes were based at North Weald during the War, and the film "Battle of Britain" was filmed there too.

I am always worried about how people will take comments about pictures especially when they are actually really good ones. I do really like it and the vignetting was a minor problem. I really like World War 2 era aircraft and would love to get up close with a whole collection of them. As for the hurricane people often don't realise that during the battle of britain they shot down more aircraft than spitfires! OK they were outclassed a year or so later but still found their niche. Fine aircraft.

Hi Cowasaki,
Quite right it did shoot down more German aircraft. It has always fallen in the shadow of the Spitfire. For much of the Battle of Britain, the Spitfire attacked German BF 109s at the higher altitudes being a much faster plane, whilst the Hurricane being slower went after the bomber formations flying at lower altitudes - The Workhorse of the War not the Racehorse.

---------------
Graham

Hi,
reduced the vignette slightly and cloned the distraction in the background out (people and cars).

------------
Graham

That has fixed the two negative for me but unfortunately you have reduced the contrast a little in the process! Its much better though

That has fixed the two negative for me but unfortunately you have reduced the contrast a little in the process! Its much better though

Hi,
Adjusted the contrast slightly, much better now - printed off a copy and it does look good, thank you for your comments and guidance. (y)

---------
Graham

It's great, just need a Lancaster, a spitfire etc etc etc (y)

I want a large canvas of a Lancaster or a Spitfire where I have taken the picture !

......Now you mention it, you don't see too many Hurricans on here (shame) such a wonderful aircraft.....

Not surprising. I believe the restoration of the Hurricane you photographed brings the number of flying Hurricanes worldwide to a hardly ground-shaking 13!

I did however snap this beauty lurking quietly in a revetment at North Weald about 5 years ago, in fact only a few yards from where you took your shot...

DSCF0382-1-1.jpg

The camouflage works so well you can hardly see it!

Note the period air raid shelters in the background. They were well used in the Battle of Britain, when North Weald almost had to be closed down, so severe was the assault on the aerodrome.

Last edited:
Not surprising. I believe the restoration of the Hurricane you photographed brings the number of flying Hurricanes worldwide to a hardly ground-shaking 13!

I did however snap this beauty lurking quietly in a revetment at North Weald about 5 years ago, in fact only a few yards from where you took your shot...

The camouflage works so well you can hardly see it!

Note the period air raid shelters in the background. They were well used in the Battle of Britain, when North Weald almost had to be closed down, so severe was the assault on the aerodrome.

Thats great, is that one flying now?

Its a really nice shot. But is it my eyes or has it been sharpened a little too much. I seem to be seeing jaggies all over the aircraft. For example along the top of the fuselage.
My apologies if it is my eyes. Been a very long day.

Kev.

Its a really nice shot. But is it my eyes or has it been sharpened a little too much. I seem to be seeing jaggies all over the aircraft. For example along the top of the fuselage.

Kev.

I just assumed that was down to the image shrinking process

Thats great, is that one flying now?

I should imagine so. It was immaculate, and looked newly restored.

Uniquegardens, I am lucky enough to live only a mile or two from NW and Hangar 11, and I am regularly treated to flypasts by our man's modest little collection of Spitfire, Kittyhawk and Mustang. I watched the Hurricane go up on its inaugural flight in February, and have been able to enjoy the sound of its silky smooth Merlin (as opposed to the undulating roar of the Spit and P40, and to the whine and crackle of that in the P51) on many occasions since, bar the slightly embarrassing relapse when the brakes seized and it tipped up on its prop, resulting in a second engine strip-down.

Last edited:

Kev.

Hi Kev,
It does dosen't it so I took a look at the original and it seems fine. Put it down to the reduction in size and converting to JPeg. I am I right in thinking there is software you can buy to help with this problem?

Cheers Graham

I should imagine so. It was immaculate, and looked newly restored.

Uniquegardens, I am lucky enough to live only a mile or two from NW and Hangar 11, and I am regularly treated to flypasts by our man's modest little collection of Spitfire, Kittyhawk and Mustang. I watched the Hurricane go up on its inaugural flight in February, and have been able to enjoy the sound of its silky smooth Merlin (as opposed to the undulating roar of the Spit and P40, and to the whine and crackle of that in the P51) on many occasions since, bar the slightly embarrassing relapse when the brakes seized and it tipped up on its prop, resulting in a second engine strip-down.

Hi Horrocks,
we could be neighbours, I live in Epping. - maybe meet up one day...

-----------
Graham

It does dosen't it so I took a look at the original and it seems fine. Put it down to the reduction in size and converting to JPeg. I am I right in thinking there is software you can buy to help with this problem?

What did you use to shrink it?

Hi,
Yes I have, it did however throw up a glitch - I couldn't understand why it resized in preview but shrinking it more than I wanted, can't explain, until I saved my image using this method, preview then re-displayed it correctly.

cheers

---------
Graham

Hi,
Yes I have, it did however throw up a glitch - I couldn't understand why it resized in preview but shrinking it more than I wanted, can't explain, until I saved my image using this method, preview then re-displayed it correctly.

cheers

---------
Graham

Preview is an often overlooked little utility. It can do all manner of simple PP work. There are a few tips in my top tips thread that might be worth looking at. I regularly use Preview to re-size for TP.

Preview is an often overlooked little utility. It can do all manner of simple PP work. There are a few tips in my top tips thread that might be worth looking at. I regularly use Preview to re-size for TP.

Hello cowasaki,

I for one. I'll have a look with interest - thank you. (y)

-----------
Graham

Back