I’m getting excited now......

Dal

Is always right
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
My other half is off to mexico in a few weeks time and she’s going to pick up a nice new Nikon D90 from Dixons Duty Free, so it will still be a UK purchase but will be £100 less than the shops.

Then once I sell my D50 with the lenses, battery grip etc I’m going to buy either another SB800 or an SB600.

I can’t wait now.

:D

Don't get so excited. Contrary to popular belief and practice, it is still subject to import duty on return to the UK should you choose to abide by the law and declare it. Actually, as it's a digital camera body, no duty, just vat. The limit above which you must pay taxes etc is £340.

Should you not choose to declare it and get through unhindered, then you must consider the following. Either not take it out of the country again. Or if you do, then every time you return run the risk of being stopped passing through customs and being asked where you bought it from, proof of purchase with evidence of tax paid, being fined, camera confiscated..........

HMRC (Customs) recommend that photographers travelling abroad with their multitude of expensive cameras and lenses etc carry copies of their receipts to prevent lengthy delays and problems on returning should they get stopped and questioned.

Before anybody starts contradicting me as usual with their stories of "Well this isn't what happened to me and I did this, and I'm not sure but I think bla bla bla....", I'm very well travelled over the past 22 years, know what I'm talking about and have factual evidence, not opinions.

Thanks for the advice there.

Been told that you can buy the item at the duty free and collect it when you return, so it will never actually leave the country. So it won't need to be declared.

Surely if it's bought in Duty Free then when you declare it, it would have a UK receipt and would not be subject to import duty.

HMRC (Customs) recommend that photographers travelling abroad with their multitude of expensive cameras and lenses etc carry copies of their receipts to prevent lengthy delays and problems on returning should they get stopped and questioned.
What are you supposed to do about equipment you've purchased used and thus have no receipt for?

I would think that Customs would have to be able to prove where it was purchased and in the event that it is used I would think it highly unlikely that they would bother. Different of course if you turn up at Heathrow with 20 boxed DSLR's. In your case Dal they would only have to look on TP to get the proof.....:LOL:

I would think that Customs would have to be able to prove where it was purchased and in the event that it is used I would think it highly unlikely that they would bother. Different of course if you turn up at Heathrow with 20 boxed DSLR's. In your case Dal they would only have to look on TP to get the proof.....:LOL:

Lol, well last time I went though customs I'd left a spanner and a swiss army knife in my camera bag, had alot of explaining to do before they let me on the plane lol.

It will still all be boxed up though which would be the only bugger.

Thanks for the advice there.

Been told that you can buy the item at the duty free and collect it when you return, so it will never actually leave the country. So it won't need to be declared.

Surely if it's bought in Duty Free then when you declare it, it would have a UK receipt and would not be subject to import duty.

It's one of those tricks which Dixons etc operate which works but will eventually be pounced upon by HMRC. I've benefited from it myself (or not, actually, as I found the item to be cheaper off the net on my return). No, technically it won't have to be declared as it will have been delivered to your home. But read what I said previously about subsequently taking the item out of the country and returning with it. If you get stopped, tax/duty still applies if it is valued at over £340. You can still be asked to show a receipt with proof of tax payment.

What are you supposed to do about equipment you've purchased used and thus have no receipt for?

Then you'll have to convince the Customs man, or try and show some evidence, and hope he's in a good mood.

Customs do NOT have to prove anything. It is entirely up to yourself to prove your innocence. HMRC have greater powers than the Police. Not far short of a licence to kill. The serial numbers on your cameras/lenses are on a database that they have. They can tell which country it was bought in. Throwing away the boxes etc on goods you've bought abroad and trying to pretend that you bought them here is a waste of time.

As for whether or not they would "bother", a friend of mine was held at Heathrow for over an hour while his equipment was checked, including the aforementioned serial numbers on the database. He was asked where he bought it from - a shop in Bristol. "Would that be ABC or XYZ Cameras sir?" "Errr....XYZ." "And what street was it?" Now you're probably thinking this was some whizzy pro kit costing in the thousands. Like hell it was. Canon EOS 600 (I think) 35mm film gear from the 90s, and this incident took place around 5 years ago. Nothing is too much bother for them if it's a slow day and they're bored.

I'm not trying to scare anybody in to being a model citizen and willingly hand over their hard earned cash to this thieving parasitical scum-sucking blood-leeching rotting corpse of a government. It's our duty as good honest working British-born citizens to deprive them of as much of our money as possible. I'm just as guilty as any of you and take great delight in it on occasions. The chances of getting stopped and taken to the cleaners are slim. There's many a flight I've got off and walked through an empty customs hall. Yet I've seen a totally innocent looking old lady of apparently English origin having her suitcase taken apart. An ordinary looking business man driven to the point of almost having a stroke with anger after being caught with a small holdall of cigarettes way in excess of the limit and receiving notice of prosecution. I know this because he ripped the papers up and threw them in the bin outside where I was sat waiting for a taxi, and I had a look.

I've also found myself in a packed customs hall of mixed flights,slowly making my way through, right in the thick of it thinking I would be safe, only to have a tap on the shoulder and be asked by a Customs officer what flight I've just got off. When I said Tokyo, he replied thank you sir, have a good day. Now, if he'd looked in my bag and found all the goodies I'd brought back from those magnificent Japanese shops it would be a different story.

I'm just telling you what the law is and the consequences of circumventing it. So if you get caught, it's no use jumping up and down shouting and screaming about the injustice of it all etc. HMRC are in no way stupid so don't try to make up stories as you go along. Admit it with honesty and good grace and if they don't let you go with a warning they'll minimise the penalty hopefully. Give them any crap or bad attitude though, and they will certainly hang you.

It's one of those tricks which Dixons etc operate which works but will eventually be pounced upon by HMRC. I've benefited from it myself (or not, actually, as I found the item to be cheaper off the net on my return). No, technically it won't have to be declared as it will have been delivered to your home. But read what I said previously about subsequently taking the item out of the country and returning with it. If you get stopped, tax/duty still applies if it is valued at over £340. You can still be asked to show a receipt with proof of tax payment.

This confuses me a bit. If the item is bought tax free within the UK then how can they charge tax if you take it out of the country and bring it back again. The serial number would show up that it was bought as a duty free item.

Seems a bit mad to me really.

Alright Dal ;)

The idea is that the item bought duty free is taken away from the country and not returned. So an American buys it duty free here, but then in theory in the US will have to pay their equivalent duty and sales tax.

If it finds it's way back to here then it will have the duty, and VAT applied to it that it should have had applied to it on the high street

If I sell something to a US customer and ship it to them I don't have to charge VAT on it, but they will cough up their duty and taxes when they receive the item. Same if someone sends something to the UK, we have to pay our equivalent of their sales tax and on some occasions even pay it twice.

Then you'll have to convince the Customs man, or try and show some evidence, and hope he's in a good mood.
That's insane. We live in a country where you're innocent until proven guilty. The onus simply has to be on customs to prove the item was purchased abroad and you're importing it, not on you to prove otherwise.

That's insane. We live in a country where you're innocent until proven guilty. The onus simply has to be on customs to prove the item was purchased abroad and you're importing it, not on you to prove otherwise.

Like I said earlier, you can jump up and down and scream injustice all you like. I am not giving an opinion here. I am stating a fact regarding how HMRC are allowed to operate. Again, I am stating a fact when I say they have greater powers than the police. They need no warrant to enter your home. They can detain you, sieze property, dismantle your life totally, all without a warrant or any sort of court order.

So....once again....they have to prove absolutely NOTHING. It's entirely up to you to provide your own evidence of innocence.

Its not customs that you go though to get on your flight, minus knives etc. Its security.

John

I'm not trying to scare anybody in to being a model citizen and willingly hand over their hard earned cash to this thieving parasitical scum-sucking blood-leeching rotting corpse of a government. It's our duty as good honest working British-born citizens to deprive them of as much of our money as possible. I'm just as guilty as any of you and take great delight in it on occasions.

:clap::clap::clap::LOL::LOL::LOL:

hmmmm i have a bag full of 40 year old Leica lenses, do i really have to drag around the 40 year old receipts or will photo copies suffice?

:clap::clap::clap::LOL::LOL::LOL:

hmmmm i have a bag full of 40 year old Leica lenses, do i really have to drag around the 40 year old receipts or will photo copies suffice?

Customs man tells me that copies will suffice. But I think you'd be extremely unlucky to be put in the position of having to use them.

You really ought to try booking in at Heathrow with a Nial gun in your luggage .... thats when the real fun starts!

Back