I blame you guys.....!

Name
Robyn
Edit My Images
No
I was quite content with the notion that upgrading my D30 to either a 20D or more likely a 30D was going to have to wait until the winter months (ie, after the speedway season!). Problem is, the more I read about the 30D in particular, the more the credit card is itching to get some action! I'm now desperately trying to persuade myself that I still have to wait - without a great deal of success! Having just bought two new batteries for the D30 I decided earlier that I simply couldn't justify wasting them by changing cameras now, but a quick skim through the 30D specs tells me that they take the same batteries, so bang goes that argument. "I can't afford it yet" I thought - until it occurred to me that I won't be able to afford it any more in the winter - I'll just pay the credit card off a bit quicker.....!

:bang: AAARGH!

Come on then - convince me one way or the other! Are prices likely to fall significantly on it between now and, say, October? If so then that might be a good reason to wait I guess. Having said that, if I'm likely to notice an appreciable difference between the quality of the D30 and a 30D (this is getting confusing!) then maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy it whilst I'm doing the most photography which is indeed during the speedway season. I'd value some opinions either way.....

I know what you mean, having used my bosses which he got a month ago Im sorely tempted to upgrade from my 350D, my only restraint is that at the moment I need glass more than I need an extra body.

Not much help, but it is tempting ;)

Ha! You're no help! ;) :D

If you want it - get it. While you're agonizing over whether prices will come down - (they will) you could be using it and getting great shots. Whatever you pay for it, you'll lose money. It's a tool - as long as it's doing the job you ask of it that's all that really matters. :)

I'm a 'live for the moment' kinda girl - so I say just get it! You have already said that you will be doing most of your photography during the speedway season, so why not do it with a decent camera (I'm not suggesting that the one you have isn't decent btw) instead of regretting not buying the 30D? You will still have to pay for it no matter when you buy it, so why put yourself into debt over Xmas when you could be paying it off now?

Go on... you know you want it :D

btw - I'm probably the wrong person to ask - just ask Rickmezza..lol (now Rich...about that bike...lol)

I wouldn't upgrade my 20D to a 30D, but in your position, I wouldn't even consider the 20D. Floodlit speedway has to benefit from spot metering I'd had thought, and that big screen on the 30D is great for chimping - sorry 'reviewing' your shots. :woot:

As mentioned - you know what you have to do, and dont try to blame us for a choice I bet you already made;)

LOL - You may be right about the choice already being made. In all seriousness I'm not now even considering the 20D - there's not enough of a cost saving to be made and that big screen on the 30D is calling to me! ;)

You don't stand a chance of not buying it, now your under of the spell of upgradititus ;) As per the Nike Ad.......JUST DO IT (y)

right....I'm picking it up on Saturday morning! :eek:

Next question though - for £55 above the body price I can have it with the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens. My gut feeling is that as I already have lenses that pretty much cover that area then it's not worth me getting the lens with it as well - would you agree? I'm guessing it's not going to give me anything much better performance-wise than my tamron 19-35mm f3.5-4.5 but would appreciate a more expert view.

Jessops by the way are doing an internet price-matching offer at the moment - basically if you find a price for the 30D from a UK internet seller, or high street retailer, they will match with 110% of the difference. If anyone finds it anywhere that matches that description, before Saturday morning, cheaper than £804.99, please let me know! ;)

Congratulations - in light that its not quite in your hands yet I will be restrained in saying I hope it works out for you;)

If you have glass in that range, like you say i probably wouldnt bother, its ok as a cheap working out the box wide-angle lens, but as you cover much of that you would probably be better served putting the £55 towards a lens you truly desire.

On the other hand it will take you a little longer than your Tamron, personally I might suggest that perhaps you considered the Canon 50mm f1.8, it costs a little more than £55, but is very sharp, and works well in low light. Only a suggestion, but possibly worth consideration - I think you can get them for around £65.

(y)

Yeah I've got the slightly longer angle covered already as well with a sigma 28-85mm - again not a great lens quality wise but does me for now, and I've always been adamant that I was going to upgrade the camera first, then the lenses as I could afford to.

First on my wish-list (once my credit card is talking to me again!) will have to be something to upgrade my Sigma 100-300mm f4.5-6.7 - it's a cracking lens for speedway stuff as with the 1.6x factor from the camera it gets me right into the action at most tracks. Only thing really that lets it down is that 6.7 @ 300mm - doesn't like low light! It's still the lens I use more than any other though. Sadly unless I win the lottery the L series lenses in that range are going to be well out of my reach though..... :crying:

That 50mm 1.8 sounds like a cracking bit of kit I must say, and yes, I shall take your advice about not bothering with the kit lens.

Tomorrow is going to be a LOOOOOOONG day! :LOL:

LO. Well done! :clap:

Good advice there on the 50mm 1.8. It's a cracking low light lens.

Hehe - I knew you'd give in to temptation in the end ;)

Have a look on pricerunner as there are some coming up at £784.99, or £804 WITH the lens!

well, a bit of an advance on this. I'll not be getting it until Tuesday now, but, it's worth waiting for......

....through his work my Husband deals with a chap who runs an IT company. Via the fact that they sell Canon printers, they are an authorised Canon seller. They also get a lot of work through my Husbands company, and were willing to do him a bit of a favour.....(bet you can see where this is headed!)

I'm now getting the 30D with the 18-55mm kit lens (that was the deal) for a price which made Jessops fly into a bit of a panic when they heard it.....in fact, after half an hour of panicking they decided that they hadn't got a 30D to sell me after all....! :D

Back