Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
Following on from this thread

I had not seen the "Clerk of works" for ages
So I though I had just better get on with it
I just got the underlay and liner roughly in place................

Pond.jpg

And Guess who turned up?
Yep the Clerk of berks works
Bloody typical

Pond_1.jpg

She was not happy :(

pond_3.jpg

While my foreman went off to bribe for a meeting with her

pond_2.jpg

I managed to get the water in and liner stretched

Pond_4.jpg

And even run up the pump
To check it.
This will become a filter and small water fall.
The "twee" fountain is only to get the water circulating and chlorine
removed before the plants go in

Pond_5.jpg

Great story & pics Chris.

Looking at that pond I also pond ered and think you need one of these!!

622-1-2006.jpg

Thanks Clive (y)
but as for your suggestion fer getit :D

(y) Looking good !
You have my sympathies after all that digging - we decided to go with a half-raised / half submerged pond for ours to take some of the back-ache out of it.

Any thoughts on what you want to put in it fish / plant wise ?

p.s. I'd think about getting some liquid dechlorinator to add to it, just to make sure. A lot of water authorities are now using chloramine instead of chlorine and just agitating the water won't clear that off like it will with chlorine.

Hey Chris, the crazy paving edging looks a little spaced out Mate :p

(y) Looking good !
You have my sympathies after all that digging - we decided to go with a half-raised / half submerged pond for ours to take some of the back-ache out of it.

Any thoughts on what you want to put in it fish / plant wise ?

p.s. I'd think about getting some liquid dechlorinator to add to it, just to make sure. A lot of water authorities are now using chloramine instead of chlorine and just agitating the water won't clear that off like it will with chlorine.

Thanks Sarah (y)
Re the half and half I thought about it
but by the time I had laid the concrete base and bricks
I decided that it probably would be less work all in all, just to keep digging

As its not huge probably just a few goldfish
( I am a bit out of touch with
"types" these days so a little research is in order)
I am hoping to keep the planting fairly much "native" I have been
checking out flea bay and there are quite a few "natives" ( and others) available reasonably priced.
I'm gonna test the water in a few days and see whether its worked or not
I have a feeling that we are still "chlorine" though

Hey Chris, the crazy paving edging looks a little spaced out Mate :p
That took me bloody hours to get it like that and all you can do is criticise Huh! :D :LOL:

Can't beat watching someone else work hard :) Keep 'em coming Chris :)

Thanks Sarah (y)
Re the half and half I thought about it
but by the time I had laid the concrete base and bricks
I decided that it probably would be less work all in all, just to keep digging

As its not huge probably just a few goldfish
( I am a bit out of touch with
"types" these days so a little research is in order)
I am hoping to keep the planting fairly much "native" I have been
checking out flea bay and there are quite a few "natives" ( and others) available reasonably priced.

[/COLOR]

You're welcome.
We took the lazy route with the half and half and went for a timber construction. It looks quite good incorporated into the decking around it.
It was also cheap (read "free"), our house was a new build and we scrounged some scrap timber from the site manager :D

Personally I'd go for Shubunkins in that size pond. There are some lovely colours available (their name translates as "poor man's Koi") and they won't get much bigger than 8".

I know it's not native, but if you need some floating cover I've just added some Water Lettuce to my pond. Normally I'm overrun by August and end up composting the excess, so if you want some PM me in August and you're welcome to some for an SAE.
It's had some bad press for being invasive, but it wont overwinter outdoors in the UK and it's not a big deal to scoop off any that you don't want.
It's also very expensive from the garden centres - about £4 a plant.

Can't beat watching someone else work hard :) Keep 'em coming Chris

Thanks John (y)
And Yep I love work.........................
I could watch it all day :D

You're welcome.
We took the lazy route with the half and half and went for a timber construction. It looks quite good incorporated into the decking around it.
It was also cheap (read "free"), our house was a new build and we scrounged some scrap timber from the site manager :D
Sounds great and you can't argue with the price either (y)

Personally I'd go for Shubunkins in that size pond. There are some lovely colours available (their name translates as "poor man's Koi") and they won't get much bigger than 8".

Thanks for the tip (y)
Once I get a "little further" I will start looking around
we have a couple of places quite local that have a reasonable selection
of pond fish I'll check them out (y)
Oh and I did a search for water quality in this area seems that we do
indeed have chloromine :(
and that a dechlorinator only separates the chlorine ( destroys) from the ammonia and leaves the ammonia behind :(
so a "combined / all in one " water treatment is required Will sort that later today

I know it's not native, but if you need some floating cover I've just added some Water Lettuce to my pond. Normally I'm overrun by August and end up composting the excess, so if you want some PM me in August and you're welcome to some for an SAE.

Thanks for the very kind offer (y)
I'll let you know later on,
once I know what I am actually "doing" in that
respect

:woot: I like it when folks put ponds in their gardens :D Think of all the pond life you'll get Chris!

We have always had a pond of some description, but never yet had one with a pump or filter. Never yet had any problems with that either. In fact at present we have many many fish in our pond that keep on multiplying every year (this might be to make up for the occasional robbing Heron though). This autumn I think we will have to take some fish out, as there are so many. In ours we simply have a pond lilly in the middle(our pond is a circle), and it also needs separating this autumn, as it's huge! Maybe if I can make it to a meet sometime in autumn I can bring you some :D

:woot: I like it when folks put ponds in their gardens :D Think of all the pond life you'll get Chris!
Thanks Joe (y)
Mind you I have worked with some "pond life" in the past
so that actually won't be a new experience :D

We have always had a pond of some description, but never yet had one with a pump or filter. Never yet had any problems with that either. In fact at present we have many many fish in our pond that keep on multiplying every year (this might be to make up for the occasional robbing Heron though). This autumn I think we will have to take some fish out, as there are so many. In ours we simply have a pond lilly in the middle(our pond is a circle), and it also needs separating this autumn, as it's huge! Maybe if I can make it to a meet sometime in autumn I can bring you some :D

We had a small pond years ago but when the kids were born
it was decieded that perhaps it should go. Now they are "Adult" if they fall in......... well they are old enough to know better :D
The filter is a home made "overflow" type
( I'll post a picture when I have it finished) with coarse stone to remove the
"bits" and if all goes according to plan will also
contain "bog plants" to feed on the "waste products" and "oxygenating plants"
for an obvious reason :D]
Thanks for you kind offer of a Lilly (y) but I am sorted on that score.

Back