I finally did it!

AliB

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Yes. I've finally managed to get some pics out of the mamiya! Not it's fault that it has taken more than one film (several more than one!) but mine.

I've made just about every mistake known to man, or woman, including multiple exposures, loading the film wrongly (yes it IS possible to load it the wrong way round) and spent a few rather unproductive evenings in the cellar with various noxious chemicals and a few choice words when trying to load the film into the tank.

But at last I think I have it sussed and I even developed the film myself!:woot:

So meet the family!

Untitled-Scanned-03.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-15_copy.jpg

Spike.jpg

Ok so the last one is not exactly in focus since I seem to have got his ear!

But I'm not too displeased with those for a first attempt (well the first one that made it to negatives!) :LOL:

No 1 for me. gorgeous little lass. well taken. :)

I find the dogs face a little dark (around the eyes) in the second which is a shame, i think it would have been a nice shot.

Well done, i really should pull my 35mm and my bronica out of moth balls and use them again.

:clap:Well done to you.
The shot of the little girl is very good.
Perseverence that's the key then :clap:

Result! Worth the hassle for that first shot alone. ;)

excellent im on my last two shot for my a1 and I only got it a week ago :wacky: way too quick although I did take alot of street shots on it lets see how it goes :D

:) Thanks folks, I know the whippet is too dark and the puppy won't sit still long enough but I'm loving playing about with it, you should have seen the delight when I finally got that film out of the developing tank and there were PICTURES ON IT! :)

Happy dancing! :woot::woot::woot:

Hey Ali ... (y) ... that is just fantastic news so well done you for being persistent, patient, frustrated, determined, gassed, bewitched, bothered and bewildered ... :D

You finally got there and :agree: with Cedric it is worth it alone for the first image of your daughter ... :clap: ... a great start and having come across all those learning points you mentioned you will be flying now ... ;)

Now all you've got to do is master the fineries of focus and exposure ... :coat: ... ;)

Impressed, I am and more than a little envious ... watch out weekend ... :LOL:

:p

What a great start Ali.

Great shots ...

No 1, a gem of a child ... and well done on getting to grips with MF, I am sure it is not easy by any means.

And I've managed to get he who must be obeyed to agree to me taking it on holiday(as well as the digital).

Result!

I like #1 too and congrats on finally getting it right, job well done. Do you now feel the need to go and do it all again though? (y)

Heck yes Alby!

The quality of that first shot printed here at home is unbelievable. It's timeless and reminds me very much of the photos my Dad used to take when I was a little girl (a very long time ago!) The tones of that black and white are "proper" black and white! as I remember them.

I want a Hasselblad now though! :)

I want a Hasselblad now though! :)

It probably wont be as reliable as your Mamiya - they don't have a terribly good name for reliability. Which Mamiya do you have?

Tis this one CT

0085_3.jpg
[/IMG]

Though I have taken that truly awful grip off it!

And bought it some nice lenses. I bought it with the 80mm and added a 45mm and a 150mm.

Tis this one CT

0085_3.jpg
[/IMG]

Though I have taken that truly awful grip off it!

And bought it some nice lenses. I bought it with the 80mm and added a 45mm and a 150mm.

Nice! I can see what you mean about the grip - it does look pants, but I suppose it helps holding the thing.

I seriously considered a Blad, when I was looking for a MF camera, but my first love is the RB67 and I went with that. The best thing about the Blad is those lenses - but they come at an astronomical price.

Nice lens hood btw! (y)

great images, #1 is a cracker.

I'd love to go MF, but the missus would kill me if i got another camera atm! :p
Are you man or a mouse? :LOL: Some real bargains to be had now. ;)

LOL. Just pulling your leg -there are other considerations apart from photography in the real world. Pass the cheese! :D

Nice lens hood btw! (y)

It took me a while to work out what it was and how to fit it.:wacky:

I'd love to see the filters for it (I'm sure there is a slot at the end) they must be the size of dinner plates!

These things make DSLR's look like childs play. There is so much to consider before you press that button. Even though the 645 has a metered prism on it, which gives me a lot of help, the metering is average over the whole frame. Certainly not the spot metering I'm used to with the 5D! I've already noticed that I need to look more closely at the makeup of the subject and adjust the exposure accordingly. And then there is the manual focus while trying to hold it still.

You can't go back and look at the EXIF, there is no chimping, no flashing overexposure displays, no autofocus, it shoots at about 10fpm (yes frames per minute) and that is if the subject is not moving............

I can see it ending up on the tripod when I'm on holiday and the family disowning me.:bat:

I'm pretty sure the filters are just gelatin ones Ali, which you can buy in sheets and cut to size.

It's true -every exposure is an event! My RB is totally clockwork, manual only, with shutter speeds from 1/400th to 1 second. After that it's the 'T' setting and check your wristwatch. I have a power drive back for it, but all it does is wind the film on when you re-cock the shutter, making the process a one lever movement instead of two, so I don't think I'll be using it a great deal, especially as the power unit takes 8 AA batteries to add to the weight of the beast. :D

And I've managed to get he who must be obeyed to agree to me taking it on holiday(as well as the digital).

Result!

What you really mean is he obeyed you in the end ... :cautious:

Congatulations on this revelation Ali ... (y) ... but will he let you use it ... :naughty:

Depends if I ask him to carry it! lol

I let him make the suggestion that I should take it and bit his hand off. It's packed and ready! :)

I may shoot some colour film while we are away on the basis that at least I won't be ensconsed in the cellar developing it when we get back. That should help!

I don't think anyone has asked yet Ali ... :thinking: ... what B & W film did you use for these images ... :shrug:

Congrats on these lovely images and for persevering. My first outing with a Mamiya 645 was a wedding (friends) with no way to measure exposure. Needless to say the results were, er, unpredictable :LOL:.

Ilford HP5 ISO 400 :)

I can bet they were unpredictable! It's not so easy but well worth it when it goes right :)

Back