I found this very interesting

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I've put this here rather than in a video thread because video people will probably already know about this subject. I was watching Eurosport and wondered why the cameras were so bloody big when they could be using a high-end DSLR with it's 8K video recording. A quick search through Youtube revealed this video which answered my question and I thought people might find it interesting. The exploded view at 1'16" breaks it all down.

Big broadcast cameras

My son wants to get into video's but using his phone. Told him don't do it if your serious. Video cameras are made to shoot videos with, not telephones. So he ended up with a Nikon 5000 I'd gave my grand daughter, she never used it, and he found out he could do videos with it, I think he found out he could. Still told him don't do it. If you want good videos get a camera designed to do videos! I don't even know if the D5000 will take videos but I pretty sure that's not what it was designed for!

As cameras get better, the photo/video split becomes less 80/20 and more 50/50, especially with the advent of mirrorless cameras but, while knowing very little about video making, I would assume a video camera was far more accomplished than a photo camera that does video. I mean, if nothing else, a video camera looks a whole better to hold, constantly panning and zooming, than the photographic camera which is built for lifting, looking, then putting down

I've worked with teams using both. The DSLR teams tend to be a faster moving, easier to set up team that might all be handheld.

Anyone that uses a DSLR for video in a serious capacity has some sort of rig to stabilise it. I can't remember what it's called, but it something that sits on your shoulders Something like this:

Most of the time though they're not using these. They're using very high end, very expensive kit. But then they rarely invest in them either. They'll hire them.

Just like stills photography, if you can afford the very best kit to learn on, then lucky you.

But the reality is, that when learning, you're better off learning how to make an interesting film, rather than trying to get the best kit.

So to my mind, if all he has available is a phone, then use that. If he has a DSLR, then use that. Or both.

Last edited:
So to my mind, if all he has available is a phone, then use that. If he has a DSLR, then use that. Or both.
Indeed.

Use what you have until it no longer meets your needs. Then you'll know what you need to replace it with.

Back