I hate eBay... However...

WOW the ebay item is £60 postage!

EDIT - Ok now I have got over that shock, and have seen the price of the other one I can see why you are comparing them. I, however, know **** all about lighting :( But will keep and eye on this thread as I am interesting in purachasing some in the future.

/end pointless post

Thanks guys, I didnt realise about the custom taxes. That will prob push me over the UK price.

But dont you get more kit with the eBay one?

Any problems would be easier to send/take back to Morrisphoto too!

Any problems would be easier to send/take back to Morrisphoto too!

Thats what I am thinking :)

Sorry...........edit..........seller has had 20 negative feedback in the last month.....not reccomended.

Just reading feedback now. I think its worth paying more for piece of mind, but still open to suggestions :)

wow...didnt realise you could get starter kits so cheap!! maybe I wont be wasting so much of my student loan come next week :D

You get what you pay for, what are they like to get parts for? I would not bother with them or the small interfit lights,Look for some smaller bowens or elinchrom kits where you will have a good selection of accesories available.

Your money your choice - but just think about what you're spending your hard-earned money on...
The first one is a seller who sells just about anything, no reason to think they know anything about their subject or that they will provide any kind of after care service (even if it's worth the postage cost to try to get any when it goes wrong)

They don't list ANY accessories, and lights without accessories are almost useless. Can you actually get any accessories to fit? If so, which fitting is it?

Modelling lamp is 50 W, which is useless.

As for the Interfit lights, I and plenty of others have said, time and time again, that they have a very poor reputation for reliability. If you're going to get Chinese lights at least get good ones, the best available is Lencarta. If their 3-head kit is more than you want to pay I know that they have a much cheaper 2 head kit too, although it doesn't seem to be on Ebay at the moment. Might be worth asking them if they still do it.

Another option to consider is a second hand Bowens or Elinchrom, you'd be surprised at what you can achieve with just one light and a simple reflector.

I have purchased ebay 180ws slaves from china and HongKong and there is no additional import tax as they list the itams as spares worth less than the actual product cost.. the units themselves are fine and work well.. a great starting point for portrait/studio work.

I have bought from buybuyeasy with no probs and good help !

Yes you pay for what you get !! but sometimes you don't need to fork out a fortune to take a good picture!!

I bought something similar which worked out about £120 and was stung for £44 tax.... as I know was Keltic Ice Man too.

well if it was me i would stick with the uk based one. Cos as for taxes on top, what if its damaged in transit etc... you going to send it back to hong kong! i think at least its more money you can sort it out if you do get any problems and alot easier to send back. stick to the uk i would and i do unless its stuff like filters or cable release, batters etc... certainly makes life alot easy .

I bought something similar which worked out about £120 and was stung for £44 tax.... as I know was Keltic Ice Man too.

Yep thats right, really good lights (in my case) but I do worry where I might get a bulb when it goes. The tax was high but it still made it cheaper that I could find in this country.

Normally I'd run a mile from someone charging £60 delivery but looking at what they have to send it actually looks reasonable. Be aware that they send via DHL which is good, but DHL WILL charge you the import duty and vat.

if it were me i would buy the interfit kit - they get good reviews for the price, and you know you can get plenty of spare parts. if you are going to buy from ebay - pick a good trader - the one you have listed does not seem that good...

There is a third option.

Wait.... until another ebay seller comes along, one with a better trading record.

I've got three interfit 300w heads and despite Gary's warnings of unreliability (he IS more experienced than me) I've not had any problem with them at all despite taking them out and about a fair bit, plus they do take bowens S fit accessories as well as a good range on interfit ones.

The Bowens accessories really are the biz as are their lights but I was not in a position to fork out for the Bowens lights as they are a bit pricey! So interfit it was for me.

Id Avoid The Hk Jobbies, And Stick To The Morris Photo Ones Out Of The Two, Not Worth The Potential Head Ache For £40(after Taxes).plus The Bowens Fit Means You Got Loads Of Attachments Available. But Since You Looking At Earning Decent Money Off Of These, I Would Look At Some Slightly More Expensive Ones Like The Bowens Or Elinchrom

Id Avoid The Hk Jobbies, And Stick To The Morris Photo Ones Out Of The Two, Not Worth The Potential Head Ache For £40(after Taxes).plus The Bowens Fit Means You Got Loads Of Attachments Available. But Since You Looking At Earning Decent Money Off Of These, I Would Look At Some Slightly More Expensive Ones Like The Bowens Or Elinchrom

Totally agree with the above, end of the day, You get what you pay for. Hence why i went for Bowens.

Rob.

Back