I have 24-105mm Lens... Can anyone recomend A filter system to get.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I have a 24-105mm Canon lens and an EOS 5D Mk1.

I have a Hoya Pro 1 CPL which is the only filter I have so far...its a screw on... From allot of recent threads I feel I need a few ND grads and a ND filter. These are prob best as square i'm thinking from what i've read but is this true???

What is the best system to use for my lens that wont cause darkening of the edges? I guess can anyone recomend a system... or indeed one kit that might give me the filters I need.

I'd maybe also like to use a gentle warm up filter in the future.

I have an old cookin P holder and a grad somewhere in the house but the filter is scratched... would the cookin P system be large enough for my lens...

Im also thinking of buying a 17-40mm lens next year which is thankfully a 77mm thread also.... so i'd love the system I get to be compatable with this also...

I know I want allot!

Any thoughts

M

Just a thought, but all these effects can be achieved in photoshop (with the notable exception of a polariser), particularly the neutral grad. Just bracket the exposure and blend in PS. You might not be great at photoshop, but it is not too hard and there are tutorials for these types of thing.

Graham

Just a thought, but all these effects can be achieved in photoshop (with the notable exception of a polariser), particularly the neutral grad. Just bracket the exposure and blend in PS. You might not be great at photoshop, but it is not too hard and there are tutorials for these types of thing.

Graham

Im really not a photoshop sort of person... and would rather spend the time outside creating the effect with glass than inside on a computer to be honest... I use the canon softwear mainly for editing my raw images... and very rarely use photoshop at all for a few minor alterations... mainly squint horizons or selective colour! I'm not sure you can use a ND filter to slow down the shutter to get the misty water effect in photoshop either?!?!

I'm not sure you can use a ND filter to slow down the shutter to get the misty water effect in photoshop either?!?!

That's fair enough if you don't want to do it on the computer.

A polariser (or two!) is not a bad alternative to a ND filter sometimes. But I have to say that the blurred water effect is such a cliche now.

I like B&W filters, but they are not a system unfortunately.

Graham

I have the Cokin Z system and am now using the 24-105mm on 5D mkII.
However, on my old 400D I was recommended Z asn the P system wouldn't work with my Sigma 10-20mm so if you're thinking of getting a 17-40 might be safer with the Z.

Just a thought, but all these effects can be achieved in photoshop (with the notable exception of a polariser), particularly the neutral grad.

You can't replicate a neutral density filter in Photoshop with a single exposure. For example, it's a sunny day and you want to show motion by doing a panning shot of a friend on his bike. Even if you set the aperture to something crazy small like f/22 you'll struggle to get a shutter speed of 1/5s or more, and you'll get sharpness issues because of diffraction caused by the tiny aperture. However, if you slap on a ND filter you can get an extra three or four stops of shutter speed (or more if you double up) with a regular apeture like f/5.6 or f/8.

If you'd like to try and blur a background to give the essence of motion while keeping the subject sharp, all using Photoshop, I'd be very interested to see your results. Personally, I enjoy photography - not all this Photoshop wizardry.

George.

As mentioned, some filter options can be completed in software. The key ones that come to mind that aren't possible is Neutral Density and Polarised, which is why I bought a 77mm Hoya ND8 for my own 24-105 this week from Kerso, cost was £30 inc postage. It's a screw on, but personally I don't see that as being a big deal.
I used to have a Cokin filter system, never really gelled with it.

If you'd like to try and blur a background to give the essence of motion while keeping the subject sharp, all using Photoshop, I'd be very interested to see your results. Personally, I enjoy photography - not all this Photoshop wizardry.

George.

I don't think that would be too hard to be honest George. I'm more likely to get a good result from photoshop than trying to pan with an nd filter (if I had the foresight to attach it in the first place :).

It's interesting where the line is drawn between photography and wizardry. Surely the image is the most important aspect of all this.

I guess for some, film represents photography in it's purest form. Digital with it's preview is 'cheating'. An interesting discussion no doubt!

Graham

I don't think that would be too hard to be honest George. I'm more likely to get a good result from photoshop than trying to pan with an nd filter ... Surely the image is the most important aspect of all this.

I meant that as a serious question so I might take you up on the offer! I'm a bit ignorant about Photoshop and all it can do. The only post-processing I like to do is in ACR and some in Photoshop, limited to adjusting white balance, curves, contrast, colour, exposure, etc. I've dabbled with putting virtual makeup on girlfriends who have asked me to do so but that's about it. I don't make a habit out of it. I like my raw, candid photos.

I might get a sample image and let you loose on it so we can compare 'shopped and raw photos!

I guess for some, film represents photography in it's purest form. Digital with it's preview is 'cheating'. An interesting discussion no doubt!

Interesting for sure, but that discussion is for another day altogether. I think we've already hijacked this thread enough!

George.

I've got a 77mm Hoya ND8, 77mm Hoya Circ. Pol, and the Cokin P holder with some HiTech ND Grad filters. Does everything I need :)

I bought the "Wide" P holder (only takes one filter at a time), so not such an issue, no

Think about what you may want to use when you have a lens bigger than the 77mm fit of your 24-105.

I've just invested in a hitech 100 filter system.

Keep your future options open ;)

I'm using Hoya filters at the moment but I would like to 'upgrade' to a filter system.

I'd only need a 77mm holder at the moment. I'd need a ND8 (and a 10-stop ND) and a Circ. Pol. Possibly a UV filter too.

Can someone please price up how much it'd cost me roughly?

Back