I hope they catch the person responsible.

I too hope they are caught and given the maximum penalty possible.

Sadly they would probably get a pitiful fine and a slapped wrist at most.

I too hope they are caught and given the maximum penalty possible.

Sadly they would probably get a pitiful fine and a slapped wrist at most.

I'd have them tied up and turned loose on one of Lord Derby's estates... dressed as Hen Harriers :bat:

'Someone has come across this nursery when they were doing building work, and realised that it would mean they would not be able to continue work until at least the autumn because it is illegal to disturb nesting bats at least until the babies have left the nursery.'

I thought that it was illegal to interfere with the bat 'home' at any time, would the builder ever have been able to carry out the work?
I've seen horror stories of bat colonies in lofts and even a bedroom and the owners being unable to do anything about it ... tough if it's your home! :shrug:

I thought that it was illegal to interfere with the bat 'home' at any time, would the builder ever have been able to carry out the work?
I've seen horror stories of bat colonies in lofts and even a bedroom and the owners being unable to do anything about it ... tough if it's your home! :shrug:

generally bats dont stay in one place all year (though that varies from species to species) so its entirely possible that the maternity roost wouldnt be in the same place as their usual roost, or their winter hibernation site.

If that bats arent super rare (and in this case we are talking pipistrelle which arent - tho they are still protected) you can usually get permission to do essential building work - though it often comes with provisos on not disturbing a maternity roost, having a qualified bat handler on hand, and building in mitigation measures such as new roost sites if you block up an old one - all that costs money tho which is why coyboys tend to react like the idiot in the OP

Back